Should I use my USDA Loan for a Flip or a Rental?

Should I use my USDA Loan for a Flip or a Rental?

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 1 vote
Hey everyone, I’m 23 years old and make a steady six-figure income. I’m brand new to real estate investing but I’m very interested in building a rental portfolio long term. I recently got approved for a USDA loan with 0% down, and I know that’s a pretty valuable opportunity. My concern is that I don’t want to “waste” that loan on the wrong strategy since you can only use it for a primary residence. One thing that may be relevant is that I have a strong background in residential construction, so estimating repair costs and doing a lot of the work myself is something I’m comfortable with. Because of that, renovations don’t scare me and I can usually complete repairs much more efficiently and cheaply than hiring everything out. I’m trying to decide between two options: Option A: Buy a house with the USDA loan, renovate it while living there, and sell it for a profit (essentially a live-in flip). Option B: Buy a house with the USDA loan, live in it for the required time, then keep it as a rental and start building a rental portfolio. My long-term goal is to own multiple rental properties, but I’m unsure whether it’s smarter to use the USDA loan to create cash from a flip first or to hold the property as my first rental. For people who have been in this position before: Which strategy would you recommend? Is using a USDA loan for a future rental considered a smart move? If you were starting over with access to a 0% down USDA loan, what would you do? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
1Reply
65 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Placeholder Placeholder:
    Hey everyone, I’m 23 years old and make a steady six-figure income. I’m brand new to real estate investing but I’m very interested in building a rental portfolio long term. I recently got approved for a USDA loan with 0% down, and I know that’s a pretty valuable opportunity. My concern is that I don’t want to “waste” that loan on the wrong strategy since you can only use it for a primary residence. One thing that may be relevant is that I have a strong background in residential construction, so estimating repair costs and doing a lot of the work myself is something I’m comfortable with. Because of that, renovations don’t scare me and I can usually complete repairs much more efficiently and cheaply than hiring everything out. I’m trying to decide between two options: Option A: Buy a house with the USDA loan, renovate it while living there, and sell it for a profit (essentially a live-in flip). Option B: Buy a house with the USDA loan, live in it for the required time, then keep it as a rental and start building a rental portfolio. My long-term goal is to own multiple rental properties, but I’m unsure whether it’s smarter to use the USDA loan to create cash from a flip first or to hold the property as my first rental. For people who have been in this position before: Which strategy would you recommend? Is using a USDA loan for a future rental considered a smart move? If you were starting over with access to a 0% down USDA loan, what would you do? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

    I’d lean toward buying it, living in it for the required time, and then keeping it as your first rental if the numbers make sense. A 0% down loan is a great way to get your foot in the door and control an asset without tying up a lot of capital. Flipping can create cash, but it also introduces a lot more variables and timing risk, especially on your first deal. If the property can reasonably rent and at least come close to covering itself, holding it and building from there is usually a solid starting point. The biggest thing is buying something that works as a rental later, not just something that works while you live in it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.