New Agent Help

5 Replies

So I am going to start out part-time (30+ hours a week) until I get some steady clients. I just finished Gary Keller's book Millionaire Real Estate Agent, but what else can I do to market myself? I'm going to update my linkedin, make a facebook realtor page (I already update mine with r.e. photos), and I'd like to get a web site started soon. What do you all recommend as far as marketing goes? I want to be the first one people think of when they think about real estate. I live in San Francisco and the market here is probably crazier than New York. Will fliers and cold-calls still work here or not? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jonny,

One thing that I really look for in anybody I work with is what value they add to my business. If you are agent, you can add value to an investor client by bringing deals, presenting them in comps, possibly giving rough rehab estimates, etc. You can call other brokers and see if they would be willing to let you in on an off market deal that you can take to an investor.

Find out other investors who are landlords, flippers in your area and reach out to them and ask them if you can represent them. Help them lease, buy or sell something.

Put yourself in your clients shoes and ask yourself what can you do to make your clients life a little easier.

@Jonny Cerri ,

Hello from another Bay Area real estate guy. I agree. Add value. Also, the biggest thing IMHO is contact. A single cold call one day isn't going to make you stick in anyone's mind. Meet people face to face. Ask other agents/brokers/investors how YOU can help THEM when you run across something.. Talk to them about themselves, their family - and LISTEN - instead of just talking about what you're doing.. Follow up with people from time to time with a call, or lunch.. Just IMHO!

I too just got my RE license. I am an investor, and I got tired of calling up agents to open doors for me. Being able to walk up a house, punch some numbers and open the door just like that? Feels like magic to me. :)

I hear Josh and Brandon always talk about how hard it is to find an investor-friendly agent. Maybe that's an underserved market? I brought that up to a broker, and he cautioned me not to turn in many extremely unpriced offers for my clients, or else I may ruin my name. It's not a big circle....

just like it says in MREA, the wheel has already been invented. Talk to your broker, team leader and/or leading agent in your office. Ask them what they think are the best way to get your name out there.

Even part time you can make 100 contacts a week by prospecting in the evenings and fall day on the weekends. Try calling the homes around a Just Listed, even if they're not yours. Contact everyone you remotely are connected with and ask them at least once a month for business.

There are podcasts that interview producing agents that will give you a ton of ideas. It seems that many use more personal methods, rather than relying on internet leads. It seems though that if you have time constraints, SOI and cold calling may be the most time effective method.

You also might consider start as a buyers agent in a larger team. While that will occupy the time much of the time you may need to prospect, you will learn the market quicker and help build up your contact list while getting some transactions under your belt.

Thanks for the great advice everybody. Any podcasts in particular you'd recommend?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you