I will be merging into real estate soon. The answer to my question is still vague for multi-family properties. Should I enter into my first deal with limited funds through a turnkey or a rehab? I thought to myself that a turnkey would be best, but I’m seeking counsel from everyone else’s opinion on this situation.
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4mo
If you have limited funds I would be leery of a rehab. Limited funds is vague though but be careful on any investment if you have low funds, turnkey or rehab can have capital expenses. Can you house hack to start?
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4mo
If you have limited funds I would be leery of a rehab. Limited funds is vague though but be careful on any investment if you have low funds, turnkey or rehab can have capital expenses. Can you house hack to start?
If you have limited funds I would be leery of a rehab. Limited funds is vague though but be careful on any investment if you have low funds, turnkey or rehab can have capital expenses. Can you house hack to start?
Hey Caleb, thank you for reaching out. The idea is to buy a multi-family property (2-4 doors), and rent them out as opposed to buying a SFH.
If you have limited funds I would be leery of a rehab. Limited funds is vague though but be careful on any investment if you have low funds, turnkey or rehab can have capital expenses. Can you house hack to start?
Also, in that sense I’m debating on a FHA loan. I’ll have about $20,000 to work with.
If you have limited funds I would be leery of a rehab. Limited funds is vague though but be careful on any investment if you have low funds, turnkey or rehab can have capital expenses. Can you house hack to start?
Also, in that sense I’m debating on a FHA loan. I’ll have about $20,000 to work with.
I will be merging into real estate soon. The answer to my question is still vague for multi-family properties. Should I enter into my first deal with limited funds through a turnkey or a rehab? I thought to myself that a turnkey would be best, but I’m seeking counsel from everyone else’s opinion on this situation.
If it’s your first deal and funds are limited, I’d usually lean toward a lighter turnkey or very light value-add instead of a heavy rehab. Rehabs can create bigger upside, but they also create bigger risk, especially when you’re still learning contractors, timelines, budgeting, and tenant management all at once. A lot of newer investors underestimate holding costs and rehab overruns. That’s why some out-of-state investors start in Midwest markets, where you can still find affordable duplexes and small multifamily with solid cash flow that only need cosmetic updates instead of full gut rehabs. Your first deal should teach you the business without putting you in survival mode.
I will be merging into real estate soon. The answer to my question is still vague for multi-family properties. Should I enter into my first deal with limited funds through a turnkey or a rehab? I thought to myself that a turnkey would be best, but I’m seeking counsel from everyone else’s opinion on this situation.
If you have limited funds but still want to own property. As long as you have good/decent income. You can do a 0%, 3.5% FHA, or 5% down conventional house-hack.
Use seller credits 2% convetional or 6% FHA to bring down your down payment and closing costs. Buy 2-4 unit multi-family and you can also close earlier in the month to get rent pro-rations from other unit(s) and the security deposit to bring down the downpayment.
Buy the property at 80-85% of true value in atleast a B-/B location.
Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
4mo
Hey David, both can work. It really depends on what you’re optimizing for. Turnkey is usually better if your priority is lower stress and predictable cash flow from day one. Rehab makes more sense if you’re trying to build equity faster and can handle more risk, delays, and learning curves. With limited funds, most beginners lean turnkey first just to get experience as a landlord before taking on construction risk then move into rehabs later once they understand deals better.
Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 462 posts · 252 votes
4mo
Hi David-
Great question! You said you are starting your real estate investing career with limited funds focused on multifamily and asked if you should buy a rehab project or a turnkey property.
If possible, I would look into buying a duplex that you could live in one side with some value add potential. This way, you can buy it as a primary residence, have someone helping pay the bills in the other unit and you can fix up your unit and the other unit over time as you are able. This will help you increase rents and the property value.
Then, after a year or so, you can refinance out your downpayment, and go do it again stacking duplexes that way.
If this is not possible, look for duplexes that cashflow in many market in Michigan, and do the same thing but planning to put more down and buy it as an investment from the start.
Property Manager · Bartlett, IL · Member since 2025 · 148 posts · 59 votes
4mo
Hey there,
Starting your first multi-family deal with limited funds is exactly the right time to be extra careful. In my experience, I would lean toward a turnkey property for that initial purchase rather than jumping straight into a rehab.
Turnkey gives you immediate cash flow from day one. That income helps service the mortgage, start building reserves for real CapEx items, and lets you learn the day-to-day operations without the added pressure of managing contractors, permits, and surprise costs at the same time. With limited funds, those surprises on a rehab can quickly turn into a cash crunch, especially in older multi-family buildings where plumbing, electrical, roofs, or boilers often need attention.
Rehabs can build equity faster on paper, but they also carry higher risk and longer timelines. Holding costs during construction, contractor delays, and scope creep are very real. For your first deal, the goal should be getting in cleanly, stabilizing the asset, and learning the business while the property pays for itself. Once you have some equity built, reserves in place, and a few wins under your belt, then value-add or light rehabs become much safer.
Focus hard on the numbers before you buy: realistic rents for the submarket, strong tenant demand, and enough cash flow to cover expenses plus a solid reserve for the inevitable surprises that come with multi-family. A turnkey or very light cosmetic refresh in a stable rental area usually lets you get started on the right foot. Keep learning and stay disciplined.
I will be merging into real estate soon. The answer to my question is still vague for multi-family properties. Should I enter into my first deal with limited funds through a turnkey or a rehab? I thought to myself that a turnkey would be best, but I’m seeking counsel from everyone else’s opinion on this situation.
Which one will you learn MORE with that will help you on your investment journey?