Newbie Probate question

2 Replies

When an heir becomes administrator of 2 estates on one property that had 4 owners as tenants in common, 2 of whom have died (hence the estates), how does the administrator pass the deed to a new buyer?

He has collected quit claim deeds from all the heirs (his 3 siblings) from one of the decedents, the other had no heirs, except the 2 surviving siblings originally on the deed with him. One of whom has already recorded a QC to the admin of the estate.

So what we have right now is this. 3 QC to admin from siblings, 1 QC from current owner on deed to admin. Admin has just been sworn in as admin for the 2 decedents.

How does probate in PA go on from this point. Im wholesaling this property. Does he need to record all the QC deeds that have been given to him before he can sell it to my end buyer? Or does he just record the one deed from the current owner thats living? Im confused how he gives my buyer his half of the interest in the property, and how he gives the other half, the estates, to my buyer in one transaction. Please advise.. Thanks

Welcome to the BP community, Stephen Gailey!

If you are not the seller (PR) then I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you insist on receiving insured title.

There are a number of ways title can be passed and defects or deficiencies can be cured. What you've described is like a forest; which trees do they intend to cut down first? If all you want is a 2X4, who cares which tree or how they cut it?

If you really want to know, just reverse engineer the deal after you (or another) buyer has acquired it. Maybe they'll do a quiet title action, or a summary probate. Hard to say.

You may make your money solving other people's problems however, I suggest you work on deal flow and not get sidetracked trying to solve a problem that ain't yours to solve. I've been there myself.

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the response. Im kind of that kind of guy lol. I need to know how everything works, usually if I dont, google is my best friend. As far as this deal goes, Im trying to make it as smooth as possible for the seller. Hes kind of a recluse, although maybe thats not the right word, in either case, he gets overwhelmed very quickly and this is quite a bit for him to handle. The property is only being sold to me for $4500 and to him getting a lawyer just isnt worth it. Im making $5000 on the deal, and hes really just trying to help his elderly uncle get rid of this headache. Plus, hes kind of extended family by marriage, didnt find that out until after the fact, but I do feel that if I can help in some way make this go smoother for him/them, then I should. Know what I mean? Normally I wouldnt put so much work into a deal for 5k, but it is only my second deal, and I need the 5k honestly. Secondly, I know probates are a good avenue for deals, so If I can learn from this, I would really love to.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.