Biggest headaches for landlords

Biggest headaches for landlords

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello everybody,

I've been working in property management and property maintenance for the past 6 years. I wanted to start a property management company but Iowa requires an agent to be licensed under a broker to negotiate 3rd party owner contracts and leases. I've talked to 40 brokerages in the area and nobody seems to want the risk associated with brokering a management company. 

I'm researching a way to pivot and lean more towards property operations until I can get my brokers license. What are the biggest operations headaches you face as a landlord and how much would an owner be able to justify paying to get these tasks off their plates?

I can't meet potential tenants on site but I could handle move out/move in inspections and coordinate all vendors to make a unit ready. I could do hvac prevenative maintenance and send owners a monthly or quarterly report with photos of the property. I could monitor vacant units weekly for squatters/leaks/floods while the owner rents the unit out. I could offer the same service to Real Estate Agents while properties are sitting vacant waiting to be bought.

Just trying to see which of these tasks are worth it for owners to outsource before diving into creating my processes and pricing.

1Reply
197 views

Most Popular Reply

MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3mo

Great to consider roadblocks before becoming too invested in this plan. My biggest headache is dealing with repairs and maintenance. The broker tie is probably the rub in your plan because when they lease for their clients they may be covering the PM portion in house. They can show the property, screen tenants and contract with tradesmen themselves. STR seem to be more heavily reliant on PMs in my experience. Best wishes with your RE journey.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo

    Great to consider roadblocks before becoming too invested in this plan. My biggest headache is dealing with repairs and maintenance. The broker tie is probably the rub in your plan because when they lease for their clients they may be covering the PM portion in house. They can show the property, screen tenants and contract with tradesmen themselves. STR seem to be more heavily reliant on PMs in my experience. Best wishes with your RE journey.

  • Investor · Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 80 posts · 22 votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Jacob Joss:

    Hello everybody,

    I've been working in property management and property maintenance for the past 6 years. I wanted to start a property management company but Iowa requires an agent to be licensed under a broker to negotiate 3rd party owner contracts and leases. I've talked to 40 brokerages in the area and nobody seems to want the risk associated with brokering a management company. 

    I'm researching a way to pivot and lean more towards property operations until I can get my brokers license. What are the biggest operations headaches you face as a landlord and how much would an owner be able to justify paying to get these tasks off their plates?

    I can't meet potential tenants on site but I could handle move out/move in inspections and coordinate all vendors to make a unit ready. I could do hvac prevenative maintenance and send owners a monthly or quarterly report with photos of the property. I could monitor vacant units weekly for squatters/leaks/floods while the owner rents the unit out. I could offer the same service to Real Estate Agents while properties are sitting vacant waiting to be bought.

    Just trying to see which of these tasks are worth it for owners to outsource before diving into creating my processes and pricing.




    Hi, thanks for sharing your situation. I think you're approaching this the right way by looking for ways to solve real problems while working toward your broker's license.

    From an owner's perspective, one of the biggest headaches isn't necessarily the maintenance itself—it's coordinating people, ensuring work is completed properly, and having confidence that no small issue turns into an expensive repair. Reliable communication and accountability are incredibly valuable.

    The services you mentioned, such as move-in and move-out inspections, vendor coordination, vacant property checks, preventive maintenance, and detailed photo reports, all address genuine pain points. In my opinion, vacant property monitoring and vendor management are especially valuable for out-of-state investors or owners with growing portfolios who can't keep an eye on every property.

    If I were evaluating a service like yours, I'd be looking for consistency, clear documentation, fast response times, and transparent reporting. Saving me time and helping prevent costly surprises would justify paying a premium over simply hiring someone for individual maintenance tasks.

    I also think positioning yourself as a property operations partner rather than a traditional property manager could help differentiate your business while staying within Iowa's licensing requirements. There's definitely a market for investors who want operational support without handing over full property management.

    Wishing you success as you build the business. It sounds like you're identifying a real gap in the market, and I'll be interested to see how your model develops.


  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo

    I'd use a PM if I only had to pay 3-5%. However, most charge double that and managing properties is very easy for most of us. I self manage 39 properties (21 out of state) now and it's easy to do. But I would consider hiring a PM if I scaled up to maybe 50-75 properties and their fees were around 5% or less. Otherwise, with today's technology it's very easy to do on your own. 

    • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
      3mo

      @John Morgan my idea is not full service management. I'd do unit turns and inspections/prevenantive maintenance. More boots on the ground tasks. Who currently handles these tasks in your business?

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo

    Hey Jacob,

    I actually think you're on the right track. A lot of landlords don't mind the occasional phone call from a tenant, but they do mind the time spent coordinating vendors, checking on vacant properties, handling turnovers, and making sure repairs are completed properly.

    If I had to prioritize services, I'd put turnover coordination and vacant property checks near the top. Every day a unit sits vacant costs money, so having someone who can coordinate contractors, document progress with photos, and keep everything moving has real value. Regular property inspections with detailed reports are another service many out-of-state or busy owners would appreciate.

    My advice would be to focus less on being "everything for everyone" and become known for solving one or two expensive pain points really well. Once you've built trust, it's much easier to expand your services.

    Best of luck with the business, and feel free to reach out. My DMs are always open!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Jacob Joss:

    Hello everybody,

    I've been working in property management and property maintenance for the past 6 years. I wanted to start a property management company but Iowa requires an agent to be licensed under a broker to negotiate 3rd party owner contracts and leases. I've talked to 40 brokerages in the area and nobody seems to want the risk associated with brokering a management company. 

    I'm researching a way to pivot and lean more towards property operations until I can get my brokers license. What are the biggest operations headaches you face as a landlord and how much would an owner be able to justify paying to get these tasks off their plates?

    I can't meet potential tenants on site but I could handle move out/move in inspections and coordinate all vendors to make a unit ready. I could do hvac prevenative maintenance and send owners a monthly or quarterly report with photos of the property. I could monitor vacant units weekly for squatters/leaks/floods while the owner rents the unit out. I could offer the same service to Real Estate Agents while properties are sitting vacant waiting to be bought.

    Just trying to see which of these tasks are worth it for owners to outsource before diving into creating my processes and pricing.

    Great question and welcome! I think you're looking at this the right way by solving specific problems instead of trying to do everything. For me, the biggest headaches have always been coordinating vendors, making sure turns stay on schedule, documenting property condition with photos, and keeping an eye on vacant properties. Those are time-consuming tasks that don't necessarily require a licensed property manager in many cases. Move-in and move-out inspections with detailed reports would also be valuable because they help owners avoid disputes and stay organized. I'd focus on offering a reliable, repeatable service that saves owners time rather than trying to compete with full-service property management. If you can consistently help reduce vacancy time and keep projects moving, I think many landlords would gladly pay for that peace of mind. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.