My short-term rental Journey

My short-term rental Journey

Errol GrahamPro Member
Investor · FL · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 25 votes

I have been a buy and hold investor since 2011, with a portfolio consisting entirely of long-term rentals. In 2026, my partner and I decided to take the opportunity to diversify our portfolio with the purchase of a small condo in Kissimmee to be used as a short term rental (STR).

I have been sharing this journey, with a previous post and getting insurance for a STR and have gratefully received several sage suggestions and advice on where to look and what to look for.

In this post, I want to share some aspects of my journey in setting up the STR. I recognize that and easy way to do this would be to farm out the set up process to one of the many service providers or property management companies operating in the area. However, we were looking for first hand experience of the process that was involved.

The process started with our orientation into the Condo community. This was set up by the HOA's property management company. We asked pointed questions about whether STRs were allowed and what processes existed to support it, including gate passes to enter the gated community, pool passes and available parking areas.

We also requested a letter on the HOA letterhead to say that common areas such as stair walkways, balconies and railings were the responsibility of the HOA. This is important, because Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, (FDBPR) which issues the License to operate a STR, requires a balcony inspection certificate for buildings that are three or more stories high (even if your condo is on the ground floor). One way to get an exemption is a letter from the HOA to say that the balconies are common areas and that the HOA is responsible for them. The License fee was $160, but and application fee of $50 and a Hospitality Education Program Fee of $10 brought the total to $220.

It is important to note that you need a tax registration number from the Florida Department of Revenue in order to pay the sales taxes required from STRs under current law. You cannot complete the FDBPR application for the License without the tax registration number. The tax registration number takes 7-10 days so, there is need to build this into your timeline. 

The next step after the application for license is that the FDBPR may need to send an inspector out before they issue the license. In my case, the license was emailed to me within a day of the completed application. I suspect that this was because there are other STRs that were already operating in the development and had already undergone inspection? 

So, while the statutory requirements were being met, we were simultaneously working on what we wanted the unit to look like….what was our unique brand? Well that will be the subject of another post!


However, in the meantime, I would appreciate and advice or suggestions you might have from your own experiences in setting up and operating STRs in the Florida area or indeed in any other areas. 

2Reply
133 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Errol Graham:

    I have been a buy and hold investor since 2011, with a portfolio consisting entirely of long-term rentals. In 2026, my partner and I decided to take the opportunity to diversify our portfolio with the purchase of a small condo in Kissimmee to be used as a short term rental (STR).

    I have been sharing this journey, with a previous post and getting insurance for a STR and have gratefully received several sage suggestions and advice on where to look and what to look for.

    In this post, I want to share some aspects of my journey in setting up the STR. I recognize that and easy way to do this would be to farm out the set up process to one of the many service providers or property management companies operating in the area. However, we were looking for first hand experience of the process that was involved.

    The process started with our orientation into the Condo community. This was set up by the HOA's property management company. We asked pointed questions about whether STRs were allowed and what processes existed to support it, including gate passes to enter the gated community, pool passes and available parking areas.

    We also requested a letter on the HOA letterhead to say that common areas such as stair walkways, balconies and railings were the responsibility of the HOA. This is important, because Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, (FDBPR) which issues the License to operate a STR, requires a balcony inspection certificate for buildings that are three or more stories high (even if your condo is on the ground floor). One way to get an exemption is a letter from the HOA to say that the balconies are common areas and that the HOA is responsible for them. The License fee was $160, but and application fee of $50 and a Hospitality Education Program Fee of $10 brought the total to $220.

    It is important to note that you need a tax registration number from the Florida Department of Revenue in order to pay the sales taxes required from STRs under current law. You cannot complete the FDBPR application for the License without the tax registration number. The tax registration number takes 7-10 days so, there is need to build this into your timeline. 

    The next step after the application for license is that the FDBPR may need to send an inspector out before they issue the license. In my case, the license was emailed to me within a day of the completed application. I suspect that this was because there are other STRs that were already operating in the development and had already undergone inspection? 

    So, while the statutory requirements were being met, we were simultaneously working on what we wanted the unit to look like….what was our unique brand? Well that will be the subject of another post!


    However, in the meantime, I would appreciate and advice or suggestions you might have from your own experiences in setting up and operating STRs in the Florida area or indeed in any other areas. 


    Great breakdown! This is exactly the kind of detail most people skip until they run into issues. The biggest thing I'd add from an investor standpoint is making sure your STR strategy actually pencils out after accounting for hidden costs like insurance shifts, HOA rules, and seasonality, because those can change the return quickly even if the unit looks strong on paper. A lot of investors I work with end up comparing STR returns to long-term rentals in Midwest markets, where the rules are simpler and cash flow is more predictable without as much regulatory friction. Either way, you're doing it the right way by learning the process hands-on before scaling.

  • Errol GrahamPro Member
    OP
    Investor · FL · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 25 votes
    2mo

    @Arman Ahmed many thanks for the great points. The difference between my numbers on paper (despite the fact that I have been ultra conservative and the reality of the market I will face in July/August is the reason I am nervous about this shift that I am making. I am leaning on the wisdom of people like yourself and others as I approach the learning curve. 

    Sometimes I wonder if the fact that I am telling myself that if this STR thing don't pan out I can always fall back on LTR is not a bad thing in that it could null that adrenaline, which is so important for the push through to success?

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2mo

    @Errol Graham,

    This is a genuinely useful writeup, most people don't document the licensing sequence this clearly, especially the tax registration number needing to come before the FDBPR application, that trips up a lot of first-time STR operators in Florida since it's not obvious from the FDBPR site itself. Good call on getting the HOA letter for the balcony inspection exemption too, that's an easy thing to miss until an application gets kicked back.

    One thing worth adding to your radar, since you're moving from a pure long-term rental portfolio into your first STR: the tax treatment is genuinely different, not just the licensing and compliance side. Whether this condo ends up on Schedule C or Schedule E depends on your average guest stay length and how much you're providing in the way of substantial services, and that classification affects self-employment tax exposure and how losses can be used against your other income. Also worth thinking through material participation now while you're still setting things up, since that's the piece that determines whether STR losses can offset your long-term rental or other income at all, and cost segregation on the condo could be worth a look given it's a new asset class inside your portfolio.

    Sounds like you're doing this the right way, documenting the actual process instead of just farming it out, and I'd guess your next post on branding will be just as useful for others thinking about diversifying into STRs. Happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo

    Interesting information about balcony inspection and HOA in FL. I started STR after years of LTR and there is definitely a learning curve. Consider moving this to STR section to get it noticed and input from our BP STR gurus.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.