"Subject to" ?? Bankruptcy

2 Replies

My question is about "subject to". I haven't done any of these at all yet, but I understand how they work. What happens if the seller at some other time goes into bankruptcy on a "subject to"property you took over payments on? Is there a way to protect your property from being included in their declaration?

The deed is still in the borrower's name, and you will lose what money you have paid. They must include everything in the bankruptcy. If you decide to tell the lender, you have a subject 2 that will give the lender more power to do a due on sale clause, and then you know what you need to do is get a u haul.

Joe Gore

In a subject to - you own the property - you actually have the deed. If the seller declares BK, in theory, yes...they can include the property in their BK filing. This relieves them of the obligation to pay the debt (mortgage)...but as long as you're paying for the mortgage and the property is NOT in foreclosure (meaning, not behind on the mortgage and the seller did not receive a Summons to Foreclosure or Lis Pendens), then the BK should NOT really matter to you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here