Is it best to consult a Real Estate Agent when starting REI

4 Replies

Hey

So I'm new to BP and I am looking to get started in buy and hold REI very soon. Do you all think that because I am totally new to the process it would be best to contact a real estate agent or should I try to find my first property on my own?

Look under the " learn " tab for podcasts and How-to guides

Attend a few local investor meet-up and REIA club

Determine a few local investor agents in your area

Make sure financing is totally ready then start viewing property on-line / in-person.

Good luck with your investing

For sure you want the most experienced buy and hold or landlord type realtors advice and perhaps service as part of your investment team.

thanks, 

Matt

In short, yes, you want a good agent on your side. Finding and buying a good property will be a team effort. You need access to the MLS and a good agent will have years of knowledge and relationships which will help.

Even if you are experienced, you need an agent, unless you are one. It sounds like you probably have more to learn before you can pick a good agent though.

As Jenkins said, you should attend a real estate investing meeting in your area and talk to other investors there. Find out who they are working with and there will be agents at the meeting as well.

Check out the "learn" tab and read the whole beginners guide.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here