Should I seek financing before shopping?

8 Replies

Hello everyone, Just wanted to know should I seek financing to know the numbers on what I can purchase before looking for the property or vice versa??

@David McEwan  - That depends.  For buy and hold - Yes.  you will need to know how much you can afford since the loan is based off your income.  For fix and Flips - No.  You will be in the hard money space which is loaned off of the deal

Okay great and thanks @Brianna!

I second @Brianna Schmidt . Having financing in place will also help you act quickly if you find a property you like. No need to put the cart before the horse!

@David McEwan

I would secure financing prior to shopping, however just ran into a deal where I was 'Preapproved" for financing, signed a contract & was sidelined due to a garage apartment & forced to seek cash from another source. If your shopping for money make sure your clear about your intentions. Good luck

I also second the idea of securing financing before shopping. It will also help to use multiple exit strategies should circumstances change.

Thanks guys!! It only makes sense!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.