Is website needed starting off?

13 Replies

Hi all,

I am a new BP member joined not long ago. I am starting my real estate development (flipping) in Southern California (LA, San Gabriel Valley). I am in a preparation stage such as setting up my business card, mailers, farming, logos...etc.

Now, I came across some members talking about having their website (we buy homes...etc). so I am wondering how important is it having a website for people like me in their early stage of business? And when should a company own a professional website to attract potential investment?

Robert

Great question @Robert Chuang  

I have a website, its expensive to run and generate leads through it.  I can tell you that a website should be far down the list of things to do to jump start your business.

Money could immediately spend on marketing to generate leads.  After you have done a few deals, roll those profits into some web development, but not until you have a grasp on your market, message and direction.

Thanks @Sam Craven  

Your advice makes sense and seems very logical! I appreciate it!

@Robert Chuang   There is no definitive time frame on when a business should have a website. Like mailers, bandit signs, or online ads, a website should be used as another form of marketing. In my opinion, a website is not needed when starting out, especially if you have no web design or online marketing experience. If anything, this is going to deflect your focus from your main goal, which should be finding deals. 

This being said, we do live in a technology age, and having a website where people can find more info on you does help. Just don't forget the main goal of real estate investing, finding the deal. So if you believe that the business cards, the website, t-shirts, logos or whatever will help you get more deals, then go for it, just make sure you understand the marketing behind what you are spending money on.

George

@George Makakaufaki  

Thanks George! You are absolutely right, finding the deal is the goal of this business and as a investor I should focus on finding these deals or marketing that will generate these deals while maximizing the time and money.

I have notice that you are a wholesaler based in Irvine, let me know if you have any deals coming up near LA/ San Gabriel Valley area!!!

So are you going to be doing selling real estate yourself or just purchasing and doing the flips and then using an agent? 

I know there are a lot of companies out there that do flips and are very successful but do not have a website. Obvoiusly the website and social media are very helpful if you are working on building a brand. I have a group of investors here in Phoenix who are working on building a brand now for their company that sounds similar to yours. We are in the process of getting a website right now. 

Another company I have been keeping an eye on does a great job with its website. check it out at myrafterhouse.com

This post has been removed.

@Casey Cuppy  Im going to purchase the home and flip then sell it through agent. The website you send me looks very professional. Thank you for the information!

@Amir Seliger  

wow thats some A-mazing numbers you are getting! And yes I'm interested in your leads! I will contact you in a minute! Thanks

Today the world has gone a far ahead in terms of the business strategy. Having a website is one of the most ideal way of business management. Most of the public today look out for even a small pin in the internet and that is what it drives them to the respective website. So as to get ahead with the business in any manner, I think so website is the only best medium to work out with.

I think it depends on what area you want to focus your marketing efforts / funds on. Everything involved with marketing through a website adds up quickly (PPC, SEO, Hosting, Domains, etc) so you may find you have a better bang for your buck utilizing other methods. If you're more privy to website creation, keyword and SEO implementation, and PPC, then by all means, go for it! Otherwise, I would say focus on direct mail and networking with people of influence.

I doubt he is just going to give you the leads for free!  Dont pay for leads, get your own. 

If your strength is internet marketing then certainly go for it. However for most new investors I would say that a web site is a very low priority. 

This is my thought about getting a website when you are first starting out....

Absolutely get one and the reason why is called "DOMAIN AGE"

The older your site is the more inherent power it has with search engines.  It creates credibility in the eyes of Google that you can't manufacture.  

I'm not saying you have to go all out with your website and spend 1000's of dollars and 100's of hours working on it.  You don't have time for that in the beginning.  What I'm saying is that get a domain, setup a simple website (or hire someone to do it).  Something that just has your company information and contact information.  

Now just let it sit and AGE until you are ready to invest heavily in the website.  

This is what I would have done if I could start over again.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here