Property Manager

3 Replies

I was leasing out our first rental property and really enjoyed the process.  Now, I'm thinking of doing some property managing on the side.  Just wanted to know how I can get started or if that's even possible.  Where can I get jobs for it, and fees etc.  Any feedback would be great!  Thanks in advance!

It really depends on your state. If you are from California. No you cannot "legally" do property management on the side and receive payment unless you have a brokers license. In order to get your brokers license you need 3 years of full time real estate experience.

I am looking to start a property management service.  Same rules here in that you need to be a licensed realtor under a broker or become a broker after 2 years as an agent.  There are some work arounds in my area such as being a 1099 contract employee of the property owner or taking some, even a very small ownership position in the property you will manage.   Property management is something that will accelerate my transition away from traditional employment into full time real estate. 

@Chris Simmons Thats a great idea and I will look into that! thanks

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here