Starting Out & Down Payments

6 Replies

I am curious to see some opinions/strategies on how real estate investors can acquire property after property without constantly putting down 20% or a way to draw equity from one property to purchase another.

I have purchased all 19 of my investment homes using a hard money to refi strategy. Basically I borrowed 100% of the purchase and rehab then I refinanced right away to pay back my private lender.  I had to make sure I had enough equity for this deal to work. 

Good luck

@Curt Davis,

Can you name one HML that will loan 100% of the purchase and rehab?

Joe Gore

FHA 3.5% down property #1. Make a solid buy. Get appreciation. Homestead for at least 1 year.

Because you are homesteading it, you can take a HELOC (home equity line of credit)

Do the same thing now every year, being patient and making solid buys.

FHA 3.5% down property #1. Make a solid buy. Get appreciation. Homestead for at least 1 year.

Because you are homesteading it, you can take a HELOC (home equity line of credit)

Do the same thing now every year, being patient and making solid buys. You can can take HELOCs our on owner occupied props (I think) do be prepared to move a bit ;-)

@Joe Gore

I could name 5 right away that I have who will lend me 100%.  I use one private lending institution and the others are people we have known for years and have history and a track record with.

@Joe Gore @Scott McCloy we lend 100% of Purchase Price and Rehab. In California as long as the Loan Amount is under 72% of the ARV, and the complete project cost is less than 75% of the ARV. We also do a different 100% financing program out of California.

@Curt Davis  is on to something. lol

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here