How can I start in Real Estate ?

6 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets family, my name is Guarionex, I'm 24 years old, I'm originally from the Dominican republic, moved to the District of Columbia area four years ago, i enjoy the BP because I'm enthusiastic about becoming a real estate investor, however, i must admit i know noting about how to start or what to do, but I have been doing some research online and just feel like most of the people are selling me something. at this moment I cannot stay still is like my heart is telling me to jump but i don't want to do it without knowing or understanding what it is I'm getting into. Can anyone tell me where should i start, or if there any particular book that i should take as guideline? thank you and looking forward for your guidanc

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

Everyone starts in difference places.

This site has tons of great sources. Check out the Blogs, Podcasts and forums. Biggerpockets community is truly awesome through their diversity (buy and hold, wholesalers, bird dogs, commerce, developers, flippers, agents, etc). Another unique resource is peoples personal blogs/websites that can be found in the signature. Within the above "groups" everyone has create their own niches. Many of us have create a website/blog giving more information about our model, etc.

We got started through buying a personal residence property and gutting it. When we were transferred we gutted it. We invest all of my income into buying houses, while we live on just my husbands salary.

Our model is buy and hold real estate through pure rentals, personals turned rentals all being class A properties so smaller margin but lower expenses.

What exactly is it that you want your focus to be??

Check out the Ultimate Beginner's Guide.

What is your goal?  Immediate income?  Long term wealth building?  

How much time are you willing to invest?  Full time?  Ongoing part time?  Just enough to buy a property?

I'm still getting started myself, but some books that I have found useful so far include "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", "Rich Dad's Guide to Investing", "Loopholes of Real Estate". The first two were more for getting in the right mindset, but Loopholes provided some inspiration and insights for ideas, at least for me. I've also gotten involved with a local REI group that I found by searching on meetup.com.

Between reading and meeting others it's helping me understand directions that I want to go in (and those that I don't) and helping me understand the plans I need to make and execute to get there. Good luck!

@Elizabeth C. Thank you so much for the motivation as well for the upgrade on how to better use BP resources.

Dear @Cale Ferguson I'm focusing to into the buy, hold and sell. i'm looking into starting with single family and put sweat equity. @Jon Holdman I'm here for both the short and the long term even though I'm more focus on the long. right now i willing to do it as a part time until I have the necessary foundation to take it as a full-time 

Single family rentals, is not the way to start. Unless! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.