Homepath Financing Help

3 Replies

Hello everyone, 

I have a question related to Homepath Financing and how it affects investors. My best friend and I are looking into a duplex that is eligible for Homepath Financing with as little as 5% down on the loan. However he spoke to the broker he works for (He is a real estate agent) and the broker told him that we need  put at least 20% down on the house in order to get financing because we are buying with the intent of renting it out. My question here is can we utilize the Homepath 5% down payment if it is going to be a rental property? Or do we need to put  down 20% in order to finance the property? 

homepath.com

Last I looked you could put 10% down for sfr, but you have to go with a lender that is authorized to do homepath loans. Most aren't. I think multi family requires 20%. It's on their website as a downloadable PDF somewhere. 

Ok thanks Mike. I'll have to check the website later today. 

The loan is directed towards owner-occupants and investors, I would check with a HomePath lender. https://www.homepath.com/financing.html. Also, look at the homepath renovation mortgage, they give you up to 35% of value of home or $35,000 for repairs.  This would be great for an investment with little money down.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here