Looking to start networking

3 Replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Matt Lefebvre, 17, and will start investing in about a year's time.  Can't quite start yet since I'm not legally an adult and can't get a credit card, mortgage, or vote.  But I plan to start as soon after that as possible!  In the meantime, I figure its best to start getting more out of BiggerPockets then I have been.  I've been lurking on the forums mostly, reading occasional blog posts, listening to a few podcasts, but I shall be doing that no longer.  I plan to start stepping up my game and actually participating more.  

I know I don't have terribly much to contribute at this point, but I've set goals for myself to make at least one post on BP every day, connect with one new person a day (would appreciate some help here :P), listen to two podcasts a week, and begin attending monthly REIA meetings. Lofty goals? No... not really... but its a start!

Just figured I'd post this here so that people can actually hold me accountable to what I've said!  Thanks everyone!

@Matt Lefebvre  

Welcome to BP.  The best thing you can do is keep learning from this site.  Are you planning on going to college once you graduate?  I only ask bc in my personal opinion I think you should focus on college if that is your plan and make the best of that while your there and at the same time keep learning about RE investing in your spare time.  You will have plenty of time to do this and most of the older guys and gals would be jealous to go back and get involved at a younger age. 

Glad your here!! Take care

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

Your first course is to make sure you have the loans and income. Our model is buy and hold real estate through pure rentals, personals turned rentals all being class A properties so smaller margin but lower expenses. We got started through personal properties. We bought our first property using a VA loan and than gutted it. We rented it out when we left. Getting started in personal properties allowed us to get started with very little down.

Check out the Blogs, Podcasts and forums. Biggerpockets community is truly awesome through their diversity (buy and hold, wholesalers, bird dogs, commerce, developers, flippers, agents, etc). Another unique resource is peoples personal blogs/websites that can be found in the signature. Within the above "groups" everyone has create their own niches. Many of us have create a website/blog giving more information about our model, etc. I talk about self managing from a distance with steps, turning a transient lifestyle into an asset and personals turned rentals.

Look forward to seeing you around Biggerpockets!

@Curt Davis

Hey Curt thanks for responding!  I do plan on going to college, but I'm going to be taking a gap year after graduating from high school.  I'm applying up there in the Ivy League and in the tier right below it, so I need every bit of experience I can possibly get on a college application!  I plan on working as a real estate agent (already interning at a local office and plan on taking the test the day I turn 18) during that gap year and investing on the side when I get my first few listings sold.

@Elizabeth C. 

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your response! As of right now, I have neither loans, nor income! Yay! Haha, but more seriously, I do plan on starting a job (as I mentioned in my response to Curt) right after high school and getting money. I'll probably end up buying a fourplex (preferably), taking out an FHA loan, maybe a 203k as well depending on the situation, and then living in the smallest unit there and make my start that way. I'll probably end up getting started in Class B because of the slightly cheaper price point, and I'm more familiar with that sort of property because most of the surrounding area is Class B... but thanks for listing a bit of your story of how you got started! And thank you for the support and resources! I'll make sure to check out your website (and others from now on).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here