What would you do in my position?

6 Replies

Hello everyone I am looking for advice. I hope I do not ramble too much and bore you guys.

A little background about myself is that I am a 20 year old recent graduate from St. John's University in NY. I have managed to graduate in 3 years with a 3.65 GPA and am really passionate about real estate. I have been applying for any type of real estate entry level job to gain experience and learn about the business as much as I could, but every single interview I got I was told I didn't have enough experience.

So my question is what should I do next? I am a 20 year old that sincerely wants to learn as much as I can, I have no money to start but am very passionate. Should I try to hustle and find a developer to work under? Should I go and get my masters in Real Estate?

Thank you to everyone in advance for your time to respond. Any advice at all is much appreciated.

@Angel Torres, Finding a Developer to work with is a great idea.  You might also consider seeking employment with a General Contractor, seeking an Assistant position supporting an active Real Estate Broker in your geographic area of interest, or seeking employment at a mortgage brokerage.  I hope this is helpful!

Kathleen

Hello Angel,

My advise is to keep looking for a job, while trying to get RE license and continue educating yourself in the area. 

Best,

Kyle

I would start by looking up members in your area through BP and attend your local REI club. You need to start networking and offer to assist another investor in anyway possible. Oh yeah...and SAVE MONEY!!! 0 down might be an option but usually a risky one at that.

I will be bias here.... but if a recent grad came to me and was honest about knowing nothing of construction but had the want and will to learn, I would find something for  him/her to do in my company. They pay may not be grand but the person would get a taste of remodels, additions, permit process, etc. 

I think that knowing basic construction processes, what is quality work, and what questions to ask contractors and sub contractors will help you out in the long run. Maybe you could even find a contracting company that is affiliated with a development company, i worked at one of those for a few years and learned a ton!

thank you @Kathleen Wilcox    @George Smith   @kyle athans 

@Cole Walker   I think I will do just that just look for someone and show them I am willing to work no matter the pay I am doing this for the experience. What do you feel would be the best way to ask them?

@Angel Torres  I would start a discussion on here that included a lot of key words for your area and words like contractor, construction, development, real estate etc. That way hopefully you can find some people here on Bigger Pockets in your area that can help you out. I would also look on craigslist in your area for job postings and see if there are construction companies advertising openings for their company. Depending on the size of them (the construction companies) you may be able to email and tell them what you have already told us here about wanting to learn the ropes and willing to do whatever they need, even if its to get people in the office coffee!

Also looking up a local real estate club around you will help. If you attend one regularly and get to know some people you would be amazed at what networking like that can turn up.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here