California Real Estate License

15 Replies

BP Friends,

Please help me out with any recommendations in acquiring a CA real estate license. Classes near Pasadena/DTLA or online. A friend is interested in getting her license and we thought better to throw this out here for some advice before signing up for something bad. Thanks!

It is easy.  FirstTuesday is good training.

Do classes online and take as many mock exams as you can.  I took a weekend crash course and passed easily the first time.

Is the state license exam online or face to face?

I don't even remember taking my license test, but I believe it was a classroom setting. I took the Broker's test maybe 10 years ago and that was in Los Angeles in a controlled classroom environment. 

retrainersca is the best for California broker exam. I took my crash course in Santa Ana the weekend before my exam. The exam was split into two 2.5 hour part = 5 hours. California sales license is a Mickey Mouse exam. California Broker exam was much tougher in my opinion.

@Lance R. I passed the exam on July 3rd.  Los Angeles offers an computer based test in a controlled classroom setting with proctors watching your every move.  I took it in La Palma which is a small city between Cerritos and Buena Park.  The advantage to taking a computer based version is that you get the results right then and there instead of having to wait a few weeks.  

I used duanegomer.com for my at home courses and exam prep guide which costs extra but was worth every penny.  The exam itself was much easier than I anticipated.  

Personally I like Allied Schools and Kaplan. On continuing education, I've done both Allied and First Tuesday. Allied by far was easier to use. Years ago there used to be a school called Anthony Schools, and that's what I used for my license prep, they since have become part of Kaplan. 

Thanks for all the responses. ;-)  Sorry, for the slow reply. It was a busy semester.

@Karen Margrave  

Ok Karen careful there pulling out the Anthony's RE school  ... that is going back in history.. I have fond memories of attending class's.. and in the old days you had to wait to get your results in the mail.. Maybe now a days you get your results instantly. at least I did when I took and passed the NMLS test and the UST test ...

Pro Schools may be in CA I have to renew my CA . brokers next month and will use pro schools if they are avalaible. they have pretty nice and easy to use on line courses.

@Karen Margrave  

the other one in the Day was Chamberlin schools I think.

Originally posted by @Steve L. :

It is easy.  FirstTuesday is good training.

Do classes online and take as many mock exams as you can.  I took a weekend crash course and passed easily the first time.

All your studying & prep in one weekend? Your online classes were with FT?

Account Closed 

Since you have a brokers license I think that should end the debate of whether it is beneficial for a wholesaler to have a RE license.. !

If you can get up to ORegon the STeelhead run is epic this year FYI  going Monday. If you can get here I will take you on some private water...

@Jay Hinrichs  I guess I'm giving away our secret as dinosaurs! I think I have to renew my licesne by March, so I need to get with it soon too. Isn't it funny when you think back to handwriting letters, sending them in the mail,  making carbon copies even, and phones with cords, not to mention party lines! LOL 

@Karen Margrave  

IBM selectric's When I first got into HML we were still using carbon on all doc's hated that stuff.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Aaron Mazzrillo 

Since you have a brokers license I think that should end the debate of whether it is beneficial for a wholesaler to have a RE license.. !

If you can get up to ORegon the STeelhead run is epic this year FYI  going Monday. If you can get here I will take you on some private water...

Some people like to debate the color of the sky or argue about how "heat lightning" is a real thing. The most successful people I know have or had their license at one time. From my experience, being licensed has saved me a few $10K checks every year in unnecessary commissions I'd otherwise be paying out for what is in my opinion, an essentially simple, way, way overpaid position. A T/C will do all the paperwork for a few hundred bucks and the lowest paid assistant can put properties into the MLS. I don't even put signs in front of most of the houses I sell and I've done less open houses than I can count on one hand so what else is there to do? Basically, review and pick an offer.

I'm in India at the moment so no steelhead fishing for me.  I haven't paid attention to US news in a few weeks so hopefully northern California has seen some rain and it will allow the fish up the river. Do you fly fish?

Account Closed 

Are you at the Ashram?  I fly fish .. join me this June for the Salmon fly hatch on the bitterroot !!! Also fish the Deshuttes.. and still water in BC...

the Steelheading is on my partners private ranch 4 miles front tide water he has 1 mile so the most epic steelhead run on the west coast an I am not just saying that. I have fished it for almost 20 years now.. No boats can float through it as they must take out before they get there and they can't put in for another 2 miles closer to the ocean. Its insane really.

Friday my partner hooked 9 and his son hooked 15.. that's just nuts in the Steelhead world.

But you need to see it to believe it. !!! Safe travels

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.