Just getting started. Any recommendations

6 Replies

I'm just getting started in Idaho and have a passion for real estate. Any ideas on how to get started? And what to look for?

Start by spending a couple weeks/months reading everything you can get your hands on.  You can probably spend months just reading the BiggerPockets forums, blog, articles and guides.  After a couple weeks of reading, you should have a much better idea of what you want to do and how to get started doing it.

I agree with @J Scott . There is a wealth of information and a million different ways to make money (or get distracted) in this biz.  Read up on a few different strategies and property types that you have interest.  Once you determine that, learn in and apply it.  Take action!

Dan Walters, Treasure Valley Home Solutions | [email protected] | 208.287.5450

I would try to link up with a investment group or find a local investor and pick their brain.  It never hurts to ask questions and learn as much as you can.  I have found that property managers can be a great source of knowledge, especially if you offer to buy them lunch or coffee, since you may be bringing them more business.

I try to read 2-3 books a year on REI, but when I first started out I was reading 2-3 a month. Most of them said the same things just in different ways. Other books gave me new ideas or different perspectives & strategies.

Good Luck.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have been reading up on real estate for a while now. And I think it's time for me to take action. I have some investor friends who I've been talking with a lot and they recommend I do the same. I was just wondering how other people got started. Thanks again

Finding a well run REI is the way to go. There are so many people that want to help other genuine people out. you just have to be willing to show up 30 minutes before the meeting starts and leave an hour after it ends. If youre not comfortable introducing yourself and talking to strangers, it makes it much more difficult.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you