Investing with a developer

4 Replies

Is there an insurance that I can get if I would  like to invest with a developer on a project? Against fraud for instance?

Thanks

I dont think so.  Has this developer led you believe that you will be screwed or are you being extra cautious?

I'm just feeling very insecure since it's my first time. Is there a sample of an agreement

that you can share? 

Thank you Sam.

Can you give us an overview of the deal?  The typical agreement between an investor and a developer is a joint venture agreement, but without an idea of the deal, I can't suggest a type of contract.

God Bless You!

@Paula Schafer  The question you are asking in the wrong question. What you need to be asking is if it is a good idea for someone without any experience in development to be doing a joint venture with someone they apparently know nothing or little about. The answer? NO! 

There's just to many things that can go wrong. However; whenever you are dealing with a developer/builder you want to be sure to check their licenses, bond, insurance and references. Find out what else they have built, get addresses, etc. 

Finally, talk to a lawyer that specializes in construction and real estate law for advice. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here