Question On Vacant Land and Taxes

7 Replies

Hello, i am completely new and young and just starting out. I found a vacant lot by my house, there was a home there but was recently demolished so not its just a lot and it is for sale for $99 dollars, my question is does any one know how it would be taxed with no home on the property, and how would i find out what it would be or taxes if its lower without a house? and would it need to be re-asset or surveyed? thank you for any information. 

The county will have to re assess the value. For tax purposes.

how would I go about that? Would I have to purchase it first before they would do that?  And do you know if it would be substantially lower without a building in the property? 

Call the county assessor. They should be able to give you the rate.

great thank you

I don't know how it is up in NY, but here in FL, the public records also contain the land value.

You want your county's Property Appraiser website.

just did that and it says $1,282 was paid, but is there a way to know if this was assessed with a house or just vacant land? Sound like a lot ?!

That sounds like the taxes when there was a house. You can see what the land was valued at apart from the improvements in the public records and ask your assessor's office what the taxes should be. You can also look for vacant lots in the neighborhood and see what their taxes are relative to their assessed value.

Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide