Starting out

8 Replies

I am new to this. I am tired of working hard for my money and my money not working hard for me. I am reading all the post and theres a lot of good advise out there. Im not sure where to start. I live in chino hills so the inland empire is my back yard. I would like some mentoring help. I would work for free to learn the biz. I am hungry to build wealth for me and my family. Im hungry hungry hungy. Where do i start? Who would like to work with me.

Start by attending your local real estate investment club.  Networking with others in your area who are movers and shakers will be critical to your success.  Good luck

Curt Davis, Real Estate Agent in TN (#00321765)
605-310-7929

@Jesse Velasco  Welcome to BP! Hae you read Beginners Guide? Also, check out some of the Podcasts. There are several members in the Inland Empire, so make sure you fill out your keyword alerts with Inland Empire, Chino Hills, the types of properties you're interested in, etc. Then when they are being discussed, you'll be notified. 

Also, check out the Events & Happenings Forum, for Inland Empire Meetup etc. Have fun, post your questions, and we'll see you around! 

Thank you Karen for the advise. I will on the site looking into all the nooks and crannies.

I keep seeing Wholesaling as a easy start up to learn the biz. What do you think?

Thank you Curt.What would be my aproach at an investors club? I want to learn as much as i could but I dont want to come off wrong. Do i ask for someone to mentor me? Sorry for the dumb questions

Originally posted by @Curt Davis:

Start by attending your local real estate investment club.  Networking with others in your area who are movers and shakers will be critical to your success.  Good luck

Thank you Curt.What would be my aproach at an investors club? I want to learn as much as i could but I dont want to come off wrong. Do i ask for someone to mentor me? Sorry for the dumb questions

@Jesse Velasco the first step to acquiring a valuable skill is always knowledge.  Read through the Learn section above, start looking at the real estate market in the area you plan to invest in.  learn what sells fast, what rents fast, what are the current prices, etc.  Do not expect a magic bean in a mentor.  You need to earn the respect of folks who do this if you want them to take the time to help you.  Show why you would be a good investment for their time.

Originally posted by @Jerry W.:

@Jesse Velasco the first step to acquiring a valuable skill is always knowledge.  Read through the Learn section above, start looking at the real estate market in the area you plan to invest in.  learn what sells fast, what rents fast, what are the current prices, etc.  Do not expect a magic bean in a mentor.  You need to earn the respect of folks who do this if you want them to take the time to help you.  Show why you would be a good investment for their time.

thanks for the advise Jerry. I appreciate all the help the folks here are giving me.

@Jesse Velasco  

Hi and welcome Jesse...

Exciting stuff, isn't this?? Lol

You've got some good advice so far, mainly, knowledge and networking. I would start out by:

1. NOT BUYING +$1,000 COURSES!!

2. devouring the website here

3. Buying a few books that relate to wholesaling, or fix and flip, or buy and hold and spend some time getting to understand the key concepts of each. (Make sure the edition you read  was published after the crash of 2008)

4. Connect with some of the IE Folks here on BP. There are some that are well established and do many deals a year. And there are many that are learning just like you. 

I live on the other side of Chino from you, in Eastvale. Look for my colleague request and maybe we can meetup and chat one evening? Maybe we can work together in some fashion....

Good luck!

Steve

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.