How to Volunteer/Learn from another investor

6 Replies

Hi All,

I am a new investor/flipper and am looking to learn the ins and outs through hands on experience. I met a more experienced flipper today and would like to volunteer my time to learn during an actual flip and not just getting leads etc. What capacity could I volunteer in a way that he would be receptive to? Im sure he won't turn over realy important tasks to a newbie.

Jump in neck deep! Volunteer your time. Explain your exact level of commitment that you can make. Under promise and over deliver what you can do. That should get the investor to trust you. IF YOU CAN PROVE YOU'RE AN ASSET, that investor should be willing to compensate you in some way. Whether its learning for free or getting paid its a win-win. If you don't earn anything from it then you may have to thank them for your time and move on. Not all investors are investors that we want to associate with.

Don't sell yourself short. You may get some important tasks - and if you are given such responsibilities - figure out how to deliver! This may be a future partner. Volunteer yourself on helping out on those bigger tasks. I had a land developer ask me about people who might be interested in putting funds towards their project. Although I couldn't give an exact answer, I mentioned how I'd be glad to help be a part of putting together the investor package.

Speaking of which, I should email them now and see where they are at with that. Thanks for the idea!

Steven J., Will See Real Estate | 240‑394‑5733 | http://WillSeeRealEstate.com

Thank You Steven! Very Helpful!

A good first step would be just hinting at the skills you have and offering the for free to local bp members... A couple weeks ago I posted a couple of questions about seo and marketing and at the same time mentioned that I did freelance logo design and would help local guys out at no charge.  I had a few takers... hope that helps.

@Will Rodgers  Whatever you do, don't beg!  You should lead with value.  

What can you bring to the table?  What skill set do you have that they can  benefit from?  In return, you get an education.  

Some examples:

- Start your own marketing campaigns and bring your investor friend in on the deals.  Get paid on them and learn at the same time.

- If you have a marketing background then offer to help them get more leads/deals

- If you a skill like, plumbing, rehabbing, landscape...  Negotiate a deal, labor for education.

Medium logo jbh austinJerred Morris, Jerred Buys Austin Houses

@Will Rodgers  You aren't too far from me. If you want to meet up sometime I'd be open to answering any questions you have. We have a lead that we are working on now that if it turns out I would be more then happy to walk you through the process. 

Medium head icon colorRyan Dossey, Call Porter | http://Callporter.com | IN Agent # RB15001099

Thanks Guys, Ryan I sent you a message...Not sure if went through

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you