Rooming House

2 Replies

What steps should I take first in order to start a rooming house in Akron, Ohio, such as permits, zoning laws, city ordinances and things of that nature?

@Carlos Gaiter  there are a few here in Raleigh and they do quite well. I know a guy that has a few of them. There are some legalities you will want to check into, one example is that he had to purchase the property next door and convert it to parking in order to give 9 people a place to park being the street parking wasn't enough. This is something that is probably specific to your city and state but once you learn the specifics, this could work out very well for you.

Rent on 1 unit here is about $450 -$600/month (different room sizes and some have private bathrooms) in downtown Raleigh, totaling $6,000+/month for one unit. Not bad if you ask me. Once you learn how things work in your specific area, you can get a few going for some nice cash. You will have to remodel the inside obviously and meet certain requirements. You can have a room or two with private bathrooms and charge a premium for those rooms I would advise you to do all males or all women, no mixing men and women. Your resident selection will be key here.

Thanks for your input Jeremy. Very helpful and much appreciated.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.