College Student Looking For a Start

6 Replies

I am a student getting ready to graduate in December with a degree in Finance. I am really passionate about real estate and looking to get into the industry. In development, redevelopment, flipping, and wholesaling.  Any suggestions? 

thank you very much. This website was a great find. I love the podcasts. I'm looking to start a career in the real estate industry in southeast U.S. 

What's up, Kiel?

Welcome to the site. I graduated in May 2013 and am currently working a really cool job in commercial real estate. My twin brother and I co-own 5 units here in Indianapolis and are always looking to add to our portfolio. REI is one of the most lucrative yet challenging industries in the world -- and you'll begin to see that on your own as you start.

My advice for newbies:

1. Network. Meet people who want to do what you want to do. Associate yourself with folks who want to learn more and are frantic to be the best.

2. FHA Loans. The best way to get started is to utilize an FHA loan which allows you to acquire a 2-4 unit property at 3.5% down so long that you live in one of the units. My brother and I are living in one of the 4 units in a property we just purchased while leasing out the other three. This allows us to cash flow while building equity and faith with lenders and possible investors.

Reading here on BP is the best way to get started. Get familiarized with the terms, products, and situations. Learn what you can and make the leap - once you do, you won't look back.

Agreed with @Evan Manship  network as much as possible. It really helps in being around like-minded people. 

Best way to learn in my opinion is full immersion in the industry! 

Good luck @Kiel Bollero  and always believe!

@Evan Manship

Thank you for your time and tips.. I think they are great. Some follow up questions though.I have been looking to find a community to network with Do you have recommendations to find people to network with? (Organizations, groups)

@Kiel Bollero  

It all depends. Honestly, there are a LOT of people here on BP that have served as essential connections and partners whom guided me through my first few deals. There are people on here who will help, connect, and even invest in your projects. BP is a great place to start connecting and learning. Use it just like FB and LinkedIn.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.