Help! Where do i start?

12 Replies

Hey Guys,

My name is Courtney Price and I'm 24 from Rex, Ga. That's 20 mins. south of Atlanta for those of you who have never heard of it. Im new to biggerpockets and the real estate community.  To be honest, i dont know much about real estate investing other than what i have seen on tv and a couple of books that i have read. However, I do know that it is something that i want to do, and it is something that i want to be successful with. So guys please help! Where do i start first? All advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

-Courtney. Price

Hmmm - not having too much information - 

I vote you go talk to a banker like you are going to buy your own house or a duplex.  Just to start.

Hello Courtney, welcome to the site!    This place is awesome for learning tons of stuff.  If you haven't listened to the podcasts yet I encourage you to do so Soon. I have listened to them all twice and they helped me get a much better and broader view of real estate investing and the hundreds of different approaches to it.   

Most importantly keep that passion to move forward burning inside you! 

Glad your here 

Josh

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

This is an awesome place to meet fellow investors. We got started at 23 and 25 right out of my graduate program after my husband had been in the work force for 2 years. Our "foot in the door" was through personal property. We bought a house live in it and rented it out when we were transferred. We have had many friends that rent out rooms, living rent free. They than use the "savings" to save up. This is a great low cost entry method. You can use a first time home buyer program with 3.5-5% down. You also get personal property investment rates.

Another great place is to look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog in your signature, if you have one. Its a great additional networking source.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help!

Been there!  don't worry!  You are not alone! Check out many of the respondent's websites for help! Many experienced Investors can help!

Thank you all for taking the time out to respond. i really do appreciate it. i do have another question for you though. I recently found an ad about Renatus the real estate investing school.
Now im not interested in spending 16k on the education but what do you think about the marketing side of the business? Can one really be profitable in an mlm?

LOL... I specialize in doing deals "on the cheap". LOL  Here is a pic of a response I got just yesterday from a Craigslist Ad I ran. LOL You just gotta be creative! 

Originally posted by @Courtney Price :

Thank you all for taking the time out to respond. i really do appreciate it. i do have another question for you though. I recently found an ad about Renatus the real estate investing school.
Now im not interested in spending 16k on the education but what do you think about the marketing side of the business? Can one really be profitable in an mlm?

see my reply!  Sorry!

stop reading - take action - call a banker

Hello @Courtney Price  !  This is the right place to start.  The most important thing, in my personal opinion, is to get smart on your market.  Most people advise getting smart by looking at 100 properties, making offers on 10, and buying 1...or at least at the ratio.  After you've looked at 100 properties, a good deal will stick out like a sore thumb. 

But, in general, get educated, join a local REIA (Real Estate Investement Agency), and take action!

You want us to tell you what you should do with your life?  That would be like asking a stranger at a restaurant to order your food for you.  Everyone has different tastes, motivation, risk and pain tolerance, etc.  

You need to continue researching RE and find out what aspect of real estate is most attractive to you, then learn everything you can about it and start taking action!

Good Luck!

Originally posted by @Courtney Price :

If you are looking at MLM then RE probably isn't for you. This is not a get rich quick business, you actually have to put in the time.

...and to answer to your question, yes, you can get rich in MLM, but you have to be the one to start it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.