Investing basics - Where to find Assessor Property Data?

6 Replies

Hi Guys,

I have a question on where to find assessor data on properties (size, bedrooms, etc), specifically in Southern California (Orange County, Inland Empire)? I have gone to the property tax assessor's website and found the property tax bill, but it does not tell me any information on the property, just the tax payments and values. 

I went to Zillow and they have the assessor data listed, and you click "data sources" under county records, and it takes me to the Auditor/Tax Controller website for that county with the property (https://www.mytaxcollector.com/trPropInfo_PI.aspx?...). However this doesn't tell me any information about what the assessor has listed for bedrooms, baths, etc and what I would want to cross reference to give me a clue if something is permitted (more follow up would be required, obviously). 

My question is how do you find this data? Do you have to go through a 3rd party source? I know this is all public records data, however I just can't find where to get it.  The OC property assessor website is:

http://ocgov.com/gov/assessor/personalproperty

OC Property Tax:

http://tax.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp

Thanks again and hopefully this is an easy lesson to learn!

@Sean H.  if you want that type of information, and you aren't an agent, there are sites such as Prospect Now and other sites that are membership based. Parcel Quest is great, BUT not in Orange County, CA as it's the only county that doesn't allow use of their information on GIS maps, etc. (though, Newport Beach does) 

Zillow pulls from the county. I have found them to be accurate in my area.

@Sean H.

You can send me what you need and I will send it back to you.  Also come join us at our monthly meet up:

Date: Wednesday, November 19st

Time: 7:00PM

Address: 22722 Lambert St, Lake Forest, CA 92630

**No Cost to attend**

Thank you for the replies. I actually just got my real estate license recently, however I didn't know if they were a tool that incorporates all the data. Have you guys used Realist? It looks like it pools a lot of the accessor's data, but for the sq footage of the house it says "MLS Sq Ft".

And Joe, I will try to make it. Thanks for the invite!

I'm an agent now.

But before, when I move to a new area I would google. Property assesment, GIS map, property taxes for the area.

Ex. Abc county GIS map or property assessment.

Zillow pulls from the county.

Most up to date is MLS however

@Sean H. I use Realist all the time. Didn't realize you were an agent. Also, on comps, check out the Cloud CMA feature on CRMLS. Maybe you can upload a profile pic, if for some reason you don't want your personal photo online, another pic of a hobby or local monument, etc. It gives your posts a more professional and personal touch. Besides, if you're in real estate now, you want to start building your network, and there's no better place than BP!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here