Starting a handyman business?

4 Replies

Hi, I wasn't sure the best forum section for this, mods feel free to move it.

So currently my partner and I are self managing our rentals and we have a handyman that works for us.  My partner and the handyman are interested in kind of spinning off the handyman part of the business to actually take outside projects and grow that section of the business some. 

It strikes me somewhat as a charitable action on my partners part, but certainly a monetizable situation too, it just needs to be treated as a real business.  I'm the numbers and long term planning guy of the partnership while my partner more runs the day to day of things.  Also I love leveraging new technology in old traditional businesses and certainly see some opportunities there for this too.

Any suggestions on how to proceed here?  I've learned such a good deal of quality information on this site I wanted to bring this topic up here too.

Hi Adrian,

That seems like a good idea at first, and honestly I think just about all of my buddies and I have thought about it at one time or another. The biggest question is....... How do you want to earn your money today?

I felt it was just a distraction from our actual business of buying real estate. 

So in short, we all share the same 24 hours in a day, guard them closely. 

Now with that said, if you still have the desire to start one, feel free to PM me and I will give you my friends contact number that owns a service here in our town and he can tell ya the good, the bad and the ugly about it. 

Good luck either way! :-)

Originally posted by @Rob Gillespie :

Hi Adrian,

That seems like a good idea at first, and honestly I think just about all of my buddies and I have thought about it at one time or another. The biggest question is....... How do you want to earn your money today?

I felt it was just a distraction from our actual business of buying real estate. 

So in short, we all share the same 24 hours in a day, guard them closely. 

Now with that said, if you still have the desire to start one, feel free to PM me and I will give you my friends contact number that owns a service here in our town and he can tell ya the good, the bad and the ugly about it. 

Good luck either way! :-)

Hey

thanks for the response Rob.  I agree, its not my priority compared to the real estate investment.  But also I focus in a smaller town, so resources are limited and keeping this employee is in our best interests too.  It actually won't effect my day to day time as I am more the planner, not the day to day guy.  Also I sit in front of a computer all day dealing with biz opportunities like this anyway.

I will definitely PM you about this and put my partner in touch with your handyman friend.

Thanks

@Adrian S.

Hi Adrian - I'm a local Richmond investor and a technology guy.  We launched a property management software that has a feature to manage service requests.  Let's connect up and maybe we can share notes.  I will send you a PM.

@Adrian Stamer  

If you have a responsible/honest/inexpensive/timely handyman on your staff then I would definitely consider expanding your business. You should call other property management services and let them know of your services. I would keep this company completely separate from your current companies in possibly a LLC.

FYI - on average each tech should bring in about $1K/day 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you