Different sale prices, value, assessment (Property Analysis)

1 Reply

How accurate is Zillow.com as far as it's "Home Value Index" goes? Was looking up the value of the home I currently rent. The Zestimate says $290,662. However, tax assessment says $191,500. Why such a huge gap? It was sold in 1999 for $157k, in 2001 for $265k, and in 2003 for $330k.

Was looking up another property on ziprealty.com. Property is a foreclosure condo, 2b/1b. 903 sg ft. HOA dues $380 per month. It's been on the site for 60 days. Asking price is $66,800. It sold for $150k in 2005. It also says it was sold for $180k in 2005. It was then listed 09/19/14 for $74k, 10/19/14 for $61k, and 10/31/14 for $66k. Still waiting to be sold. Not sure if this appropriate or not, but here is the link to the property (if inappropriate, please remove):

http://www.ziprealty.com/property/2122-PEPPERTREE-...

I'm looking at the different times both houses were  sold and I'm guessing the huge gaps are either from depreciation or appreciation? If so, considering the foreclosure, would that be a good deal for $66,800? Will the value of the property eventually appreciate back to $150k or even $180k?

Starting to look at properties so I can finally do my first deal. All help is greatly appreciated!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you