First investment duplex stories!

9 Replies

So I just purchase my first property, it is a house and a 1/2 duplex, here are the stats, insurance 660/year, taxes 1730/year total rents currently at 775 per month (350 and 425). The purchase price was 30000 with 4.75% for 15 years, 20% down conventional lending. The major repairs are a roof 3000$ and a small retaining wall I'd like to replace for an cosmetics.

Well, inherited tenants may get me quick. The one unit has 3guys, 1girl, and two kids living in it..... It's a two bedroom apartment. I just discovered that one guy was previously arrested in Illinois (Mt. Vernon) for possession, distribution, and production of crystal meth, he has 2 burglaries and two grand thefts on his record also..... I have been in the apartment 3 times this week and will continue to do walk throughs often and I am currently running a check through the local sheriff. To me I looks like there is a 40750$ bond on him..... Is this a good deal gone bad too fast or is there a reward?

The other tenant has been there for 6+ years, a single woman and her child. I'm really hoping my other tenants don't scare her away before the situation gets too far.

I contacted the previous owner and her comment was "she wanted a winter tenant"

Entertain me with some comments! Thanks all!

Beware! If the one guy has such a rap sheet, the others in the unit are not far behind. You need to clear out the whole unit ASAP. I'm stating the obvious; I'm sure you know that.  

This is a case where engaging the services of a good attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law is necessary. Do this immediately. The potential for serious fall-out is too great.

Time to renovate the unit or even move in and occupy it yourself! How long has he and the whole gang been living there? Are they on a lease, or month-to-month rental agreement? If on a month-to-month, you will have many more options available to you.

Since it is a two bedroom unit with six occupants, I would immediately establish and enforce a maximum occupancy of 2 people per bedroom. Check the original rental agreement to see if they are in violation of occupancy limits; if so, take action now to force out the extra people.

Who is named in the rental agreement? I bet not all of them are. Chances are, one person secured the apartment and the others moved in later.

I would be watching the property like a hawk to catch lease violations and to provide more of a presence for the well being of the other tenant. Consider installing a security system. Partner with law enforcement. Watch the mail to see who is receiving mail there. 

Keep up with the inspections but don't become so intrusive that they get back at you for interrupting the "quiet enjoyment" of their home.

Be very careful. Drug users are unpredictable. Not to mention dealers and manufacturers. Desperate people do desperate things. Act in a manner in which they don't feel threatened. 

Increase your attention on the property. Use the elements of CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design). There is a good chance they will move out on their own when they realize they can't live the lifestyle they desire on your property. If they feel uncomfortable, but not threatened, they just might decide to leave on their own terms, without much fuss. 

Make it easy for them to leave. Offer them "Cash for Keys." If they don't seem to be able to get themselves out even with that, you could offer to help them move by footing the bill on a moving truck rental and paying for the first month of storage unit rental.

Good Luck!

Thank you @Marcia Maynard I have a call into a relative at the sheriff's office and am fully checking it out before I move further. I drive by the property once a day and I am on the property once a week till I figure it all out. I am also applying for a carry permit for a weapon and talking to friends who are neighbors. I only live 1/2 a block away. They have only been there for 1 1/2 months and with kids there, I am sure there is some hoops I have to jump through, my neighbors kids are the same age so I will use them as last resort. Thank you!

LAWYER, LAWYER, LAWYER!!!!!

I would first contact a lawyer and than go from there. This is the one tenant that you will want to be very, very careful and follow EXACTLY within the letter of the law. 

Originally posted by @Jason Smith :

Thank you Marcia Maynard I have a call into a relative at the sheriff's office and am fully checking it out before I move further. I drive by the property once a day and I am on the property once a week till I figure it all out. I am also applying for a carry permit for a weapon and talking to friends who are neighbors. I only live 1/2 a block away. They have only been there for 1 1/2 months and with kids there, I am sure there is some hoops I have to jump through, my neighbors kids are the same age so I will use them as last resort. Thank you!

On Monday find a good attorney that specializes in evictions for your area. Also, find yourself a good local landlord mentor... someone toughened and with loads of experience. Handy to have a relative at the Sheriff's office, wow! Look up CPTED on the internet and start making modifications to the property to make it a less desirable place for criminal activity. Weapons are not my thing and I doubt necessary, but do what you feel you need to do without endangering yourself or others. Not sure what you meant by using the neighbors kids as a last resort..... what is that about?

@Marcia Maynard  I only ment to ask them about the kids that live there since they share a bus stop.

Originally posted by @Jason Smith :

@Marcia Maynard I only ment to ask them about the kids that live there since they share a bus stop.

Right... understood. I too have found kids to be good informants. They will spill the beans on what is going on, often without me even asking them any questions! Children are observant, but they also will use their creative imagination to "cover up" something that is going on if they fear getting into trouble.

Sheriffs office said no warrants out for his arrest.   Still no rent but always calls or texts back.   Keeping an eye on the property!

rent was paid in full before late fees, he told me about his past and I have been in the house again.   Everything is kept clean for a 22 yr old guy.

looks like he is leaving himself, just gave 30 day notice and has arranged to return the keys this weekend.   Thank you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.