Super newbie..where to begin?

5 Replies

Hello I would like to get the ball rolling on my career in real estate investing. However I don't know where to begin. Fix and flip? Wholesaling? Land lording? I’ve recently looked into condos in my area (MD). I had my eye on foreclosed condos for example there are a few listed between $21,000 and $48,000. Would this be a good start VS. Fix & Flip considering I don't have the cash or access to hard money?

If you don't have much capital to start with yourself than I would say start finding some deals to pass on to other investors for a profit. As you build a track record of doing some deals and knowing the area than talk to friends and family about joint venturing with you on fix and flips and you can use the wholesale properties you passed on to other investors as a way to show you learned the area.

Hi Ronnie,

Welcome! I think you've come to the right place. I haven't started yet either but in my 3 months or so on this site I've learned a ton. My suggestion is to start listening to the biggerpockets podcast. There will be episodes that don't interest you at all (you will still learn from them), but some that sound really appealing. It's a good way to figure out what you want to do. You will learn a ton. That's where I think anyone should start, the learning I mean not specifically the podcast. There are lots of good books out there too. Best of luck sir.

@Antoine Stanley  if its not under contract couldn't the investors take the deal from under me?

Yes, you place deals you find under contract to pass to the investors. 

Thanks the podcast helped a lot. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here