Getting a Mentor

5 Replies

I am super new to the investing world of real estate, and I'm looking for a mentor to help guide me. I have been doing research online and checking out possible mentors. I have been talking to one rep from Fortune Builders and their wanting me to take out a loan on my business to help fund for their assistance. They are wanting 3k for coaching. I have also looked into Phil Pustejovsky, and his program ask $495.00 up front and another $495.00 after closing the first deal. They also want 50% of the earnings from the first deal as well. Are these good prices to pay for a mentor? Again I'm very new to the investing world, only attending one full seminar, reading books, and listening to the prodcast on this site.

@Phillip Jewell   Hi Phillip - I never had any mentor and personally not sure how good idea it is to pay someone for their advice when you are taking all the risk & doing the work.  I would instead recommend reading up different articles online (like you are already doing) and try to meet landlords in your areas who will give you advise for free. 

@sibbir no man Ok, that's what I was starting to think myself. Thank you for your advice. I just want to shorten my learning curve as much as possible. 

Correction lol I meant to say ok not NO in my reply. 

I agree with @Sibbir Noman  on the paying part. I think having a mentor is a great idea (two heads are always better than one, especially when they have the experience you don't) but for someone like Phil was started out in TN and now works the FL market, there may be significant strategy differences based on market conditions, local laws, etc. that may affect the quality of their mentoring.

I would try to find someone who has experience investing in your area to guide through any pitfalls. Good luck.

Cool, thanks for your advice @Marc m 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.