Long and Foster

9 Replies

After weeks of thinking I finally decided to go get licensed. I want to ask all the experienced investors/agents is Long a Foster a good school to learn. I'm really caught up on knowing which school to attend. Please everyone new or experienced agents or investors give me your insight god bless.

I never heard of them. I did mine on line in less than a week. 

Long and Foster is probably the biggest real estate company in the DC market.  I have no idea how their agent school ranks.

Which company do you ultimately want to work for?  You might talk to some brokers and see which one you like best in an area where you want to work.

Long & Foster is a great place to start. I got my license through them & they will prove to be very helpful. They will likely start you on a 50/50 split commission (you'll get 1.5%), but they won't charge you to have a desk there. Remax and some others will literally charge you $1000 a month to be an agent with them- but they give you 100% commission (3%).  A lot of agents will start with L&F and then if you're really killing it - switch brokers for a better commission rate. Good luck!

I never heard of them. I did mine online in less than a week. 

I would look into Keller Williams. I have been with them for 7 years and the commission splits are really good. 64% till you cap at 4 million in sales (DC market) then it's 100%. Depending on the market you are in, the cap can be lower. You can make money from the agents you recruit based upon what they sell. The training is also top notch.

I second Jason's comments.  I moved from L&F to Keller Williams Capital Properties a few years ago and never looked back.

I took the L&F class around 2007 and enjoyed it. I was fortunate to have the head of their education dept. teaching the class so he only gave us the info we absolutely needed and would use without all the extra fluff. Harold something, great guy but not sure if he's still around. I took mine at the Gaithersburg office off Clopper Rd.

Originally posted by @Marc M. :

I took the L&F class around 2007 and enjoyed it. I was fortunate to have the head of their education dept. teaching the class so he only gave us the info we absolutely needed and would use without all the extra fluff. Harold something, great guy but not sure if he's still around. I took mine at the Gaithersburg office off Clopper Rd.

That's the place I'm planning to take my classes makes me feel better you say that I heard from other people they're good.  Thanks

@James Sotipalalit Im just curious how things ever turned out.  Did you get your license and what company did you ultimately associate with?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here