How To Alter My Current REI Plan

1 Reply

I'm self employed and need to plan for retirement. My original plan was to buy a couple properties that would be paid off in 25-30 years and be a source of income. To be honest, I'm not very interested in a lot of REI stuff like creative financing, OPM, flipping, or even investing out of my area.

I basically want to buy and hold properties in my area and have a management company take care of them.

Am I misinformed and this is a bad strategy?

After posting a question in another forum about potential property specs I was looking at I discovered that some of my original expectations were not realistic at all. Now I'm rethinking my whole strategy.

If I'm not that interested in the details of REI and just looking to invest/hold, am I better off just not even getting involved?

It depends. So you don't want to be involved, basically. If you found a property you were ok with, in your area, what return would you net after property management long term. Say that was 10%.

If you wanted RE as an asset class, you could invest in a REIT. You can look one up and see what it has returned over the last 10 years, maybe 8% (for argument's sake) 

If you bought the S&P 500, maybe you net 6% long term (again, for argument's sake). 

So the question is, is the gymnastics of owning the property worth 2% to you, if you are just looking for diversification and don't really care beyond that? 

Or maybe your area will not provide the return at all, and in that case it doesn't make sense for you?  if what you are looking for is income in retirement, you should get there with paid off properties. If you have nothing but cashflow problems the whole way there, maybe it doesn't fit? 

No company avatar mediumRyan Arth, Noble Traditions, Ltd. | [email protected] | (216) 832‑1935

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you