TREC 1-4 Contract - As An Entity

4 Replies

This is certainly a newbie question, but when filling out the TREC 1-4 contract to purchase a property as an entity:

1. In Para 1, what do I enter in the line for the buyer?

2. On page 8, for the signature, how is this signed? Should there be additional language indicating that I am signing on behalf of my entity?

1. Your business name

2.  Legal owner/member

Don't sweat the small stuff.  Title companies will notify/help you if something needs to be changed on contract.

1.  Name of buyer (individual or entity) 

2. If the entity is ABC Investments, LLC (and assuming you are a Member), below the signature line it should show ABC Investments, LLC by Brandon Gxxxxx, Member. Signature would then be Brandon Gxxxx, Member.

A single member executing a contract will need to prove to the title company that the member has the authority to act unilaterally on the part of the LLC.

@Guy Gimenez  What is the process of proving I have authority to act unilaterally?

If there are two or more members, the title company will require you to execute a "Authorization To Act On Behalf of LLC" or similarly titled document. The form language is different with each title company, but it will require all other members to sign that they are authorizing you to act on behalf of the LLC, including binding the LLC contractually and to execute all closing documents.

Whatever title company you choose to work with, get them to send you their Authorization form.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you