Investing in Real Estate Creative Starter Ideas

3 Replies

While I plan to purchase my first home in a little over a year to eventually rent out, I am wondering if any of you have idea's on different ways to invest in real estate with minimal cash before that time. I love real estate in general and would like any creative ideas you have which will allow me to make long term gains and why you recommend them. I would love to hear anything you may have done before and suggest, anything which will allow me to invest long term in real estate with minimal stating cash as I am recently out of college. Thank you all! 

I used a hard money strategy to purchase 20 homes with little to no money down.  

Another thing you can do is learn to wholesale by driving for dollars.

Welcome to BP!!  I am originally from Sioux Falls, SD so I went to Mankato many times when I was younger!!! 

Good luck!!

@Curt Davis  Thank you for your reply! Can you elaborate on what you mentioned regarding a hard money strategy as that is the first time I have heard of this. I had heard about wholesaling a bit however; I find tons of articles on why not to do it which had me stop looking into it quickly. I will check it out more in depth! You called it, MSU was my school. Nice to meet you! 

@Casey Martin

Here is a simple example on how I structured my deals: 

ARV $100,000

70% Loan of $70,000 private loan

$60,000 purchase price ( as-is from bank )

$5,000  rehab

$1,500 closing cost

$3,500  5% hard money lender origination fee

--------------------------------------------

The $70,000 covered all my purchase, rehab, closing and lender fees. 

I will pay 1% monthly interest only until my bank puts bank financing in place and I pay the hard money lender back. This usually takes 2 months to do so I will be out of pocket about $1,400 and then another $500 appraisal fee.  

Home appraises for $100,000 so the lender will give me a 75% refinance.  That 5% or $5,000 is covered in the refinance as I only borrowed 70% but refinanced at 75%. 

Hope this was not too confusing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here