Cliché Intro Post

10 Replies

Hi all, my name is Mike and I'm looking to diversify my income stream via real estate investing. I currently reside in northeast Philadelphia with my lady and 15 month old daughter. I work in the carpenters' union and while the income is generally enough to get by, it is anything but consistent. I'd like to network with others involved in real estate around the Philadelphia and South Jersey area to learn and gain experience. Ideally I want to find a seasoned vet that needs a hand with some of their legwork in exchange for some advice! Looking forward to learning and growing with BP. Thanks for reading!

Hey welcome to BiggerPockets @Michael Hartman  ! It's great to have you jumping in!  I think your plan to find an experienced mentor is right on track. You'll likely find what I have: older successful investors enjoy helping the youngerish ones like us :) 

Welcome! Jump in :)

Originally posted by @Michael Hartman :

while the income is generally enough to get by, it is anything but consistent.

Welcome to BP Michael! Depending on your strategy you might find Real estate is anything but consistent also. 

Thanks for the warm welcome @Brandon Turner. I don't recall the exact episode, but there was a guest on one of the podcasts who mentioned something about "the old dogs teaching the young pups" and that really resonated with me. 

@Ned Carey for my first move I'm thinking about selling my single family rowhome and purchasing a duplex to get the ball rolling with some steady monthly income. I'm always open for suggestions though! 

Originally posted by @Michael Hartman :

Thanks for the warm welcome @Brandon Turner. I don't recall the exact episode, but there was a guest on one of the podcasts who mentioned something about "the old dogs teaching the young pups" and that really resonated with me. 

@Ned Carey for my first move I'm thinking about selling my single family rowhome and purchasing a duplex to get the ball rolling with some steady monthly income. I'm always open for suggestions though! 

welcome @Michael. I think that you have a good idea bro. 

Hey,

Welcome to BP. I am sure your job experience will help you in investing in real estate. I have 2 properties in South Jersey. Great luck to you!

@Michael Hartman  welcome to BP. Before you get started in this wild ride of real estate investing please take some time to read the Ultimate  Beginners Guide right here on BP. It will give you a good primer on all things real estate investing. I love the idea of you getting a multi family and living in part of it while renting out the other unit. That would be called house hacking in BP terms and is a great way to get some very low interest long term financing on an investment property. You can go all the way up to 4 units in an owner occupied investment and still qualify for traditional financing.

Best of luck to you and feel free to reach out with any questions.

Hey @Jon Lafferty  thanks for the advice. I actually have read the "ultimate beginner's guide" awhile back (I've been lurking for a bit lol) and am currently reading the "book on flipping houses" slowly but surely. I also subscribe to the podcast and listen to at least one every day in traffic. Just trying to learn as much as I can while readying my house for the market in order to get started on my path!

I am very active with wholesaling in the Philly market. I am not a coach or paid mentor but will help you in any way I can with getting started. Feel free to reach out to me anytime. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.