My First Deal

2 Replies

Happy New Year. I am finalizing the paper work for my LLC and have a property in sight in my neighborhood. I am trying to get a private investor vs. a hard money lender. I recently read on BP the information about "financial analysis". From experience do private investors charge interest on the loan or prefer to take a percentage of the net profit for it to be considered a good investment. For example, if the investor funds 80% of the deal and charges 6% interest on the loan amount this would yield less money in the total return of their investment with a flipped property (given you flip in 60days) versus if they want 10% of the net profits. For example 80% loan on $100000. Property is flipped and resold for $150000. Brokers fee is 4% ($6000), Investor gets 88800 (loan and interest), closing cost perhaps is $20000. If I spent $10000 to rehab and $20000 for the down payment using the Cap Rate formula NOI/Property Price= $35200/136800=25.7%. If the investor wanted 10% of the NOI they would yield a profit of $3520 vs. $800 only on the loan interest. Or perhaps I am mistaken that the investor would not do a 6% interest rate on a 12month scale but rather charge 6% off the top? Please assist in responding to what is the normal trend. Thanks

@Cynthia Eugene  ,

Congratulations on getting started!

I think your strategy of seeking private money is great, what I would say is nothing is typical.  It really depends on the appetite of the investor and your relationship with them.  For my family members, I've offered them 5% interest /10% profits on a flip.  If I'm doing buy & hold I've offered 10% interest with a fully repayment of the loan in 1-3 years.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I figured that the best way to keep more money in my pocket is to use a private investor.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.