Starting out in Atlanta

9 Replies

Hi - I'm just starting out in my investing career and am looking for some advice. I've joined the local REIA and have read a lot of material. I'm looking to flip and buy and hold and I'm having a hard time finding deals for sure. I'd like to stay in the suburbs north of Atlanta, but realize I may have to go outside that area.

Also, I went ahead and got my real estate license to get MLS access and to sell my flips myself. I haven't found a broker yet and am trying to locate an investor friendly one in the Atlanta area.

Any advice for how to begin the deal finding process, or if you know of an investor friendly broker in the area, I'd be grateful.

@Tim Shoemaker  Welcome to BP. I would post a pic of yourself, complete your profile, and get a membership to put a posting in the marketplace. BP is all about help each other out and the membership is the best thing you can EVER do for your business, and no I dont work for BP.

Welcome to BP @Tim Shoemaker  !  I would recommend trying to use direct mail to find deals.  I'd do a search for "direct mail" and "yellow letters" here on BP to get you started.  Also, start telling everyone you can about your real estate ambitions, goals, etc.  You never know who amoung your friends/acquiantences will point a deal in your direction!  Good luck!

Hi Tim,

Welcome to BP. I'm not too far from you over in Rome. While the deals are a lot more scarce I'm still finding a few here and there. I think this is because we're far enough away from Atlanta to not get caught up in that market. So if your willing to travel a bit maybe try looking in some of the smaller towns a bit further out.

Direct mail to find motivated sellers is great.  If they do not want to sell to you as the investor, they may want to list with you the Realtor. Either way, you win!! Maybe your business cards are double sided, investor on one side, realtor on the other. Hand out cards to everyone you know and everyone you dont. Tell every friend, relative, and person you see on the streets what you do. Business will come your way in no time.

Thanks all for the recommendations and messages.  This has been very helpful already!

@Tim Shoemaker  Welcome.  Great advice above.  You should spend a lot of time networking.  Drive the areas where you want to flip and can afford to flip.  Introduce yourself to the local rehabbers and you'll find some partners, build your contractor list, and get a better idea of what the deals look like.  

Finally, when a deal presents itself, you'll be confident enough to respond immediately and have a team which can get it done.

@Tim Shoemaker  everyone above has given great advice.  One other thing I do is find all of the reo property find what I can pay for it to make a profit and submitted a low offer on them. In today's economy not all banks will take it but you never know I submit 20-30 offers a month like this  usually will get one or two the take my offer.  along with the other marketing advice listed above.  Fixing and flipping is easy finding a stream of deal separates the pros and amateurs.  You just have to keep pressing and hunting for deals you will find them just takes time and effort.

Originally posted by @Tim Shoemaker :

Hi - I'm just starting out in my investing career and am looking for some advice. I've joined the local REIA and have read a lot of material. I'm looking to flip and buy and hold and I'm having a hard time finding deals for sure. I'd like to stay in the suburbs north of Atlanta, but realize I may have to go outside that area.

Also, I went ahead and got my real estate license to get MLS access and to sell my flips myself. I haven't found a broker yet and am trying to locate an investor friendly one in the Atlanta area.

Any advice for how to begin the deal finding process, or if you know of an investor friendly broker in the area, I'd be grateful.

Tim-

I have my RE license with Solid Source, low cost, investor friendly, and a GREAT all around company. Call their office, ask for Brian Cowling and he will get you going.

Northern suburbs are great, but you have to pay to play especially in the top school districts because retail buyers will bid up not so nice houses just to get in the district. We have been flipping less in the northern burbs and doing more new construction there because margin is better. Our Roswell new build we currently working on is 600k+ lot/sticks/bricks but ARV is in the 800s

As far as finding "deals" what specifically are you looking for? Let us know your price ranges and project scopes "cosmetic rehabs only or additions ect" and we can better point you in the right direction of referrals

Thanks for the responses and recommendations.  

@Todd Widdon: Since I'm just getting started, I'm trying to keep it under 150k all in at first, but realize that may be unrealistic in the northern suburbs.  I'd go east/west on the north side too, maybe over to Lawrenceville and Woodstock/Canton.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here