Best Cities To become a real estate agent?

2 Replies

Hey. My name is Kenny and i have lately been looking at getting my real estate license right out of high school, i'm a junior right now, and working as a real estate agent. I was wondering what cities in the US are best for being a real estate agent? Also, how good a place is San Francisco specifically? On one hand it has higher prices which mean higher commissions, but i imagine it is more competitive as well.

Hi,

I  am licensed in Illinois, fortunately I am outside of the metro area of Chicago.  I think being near any big cities and coastal cities are better for more money. Therefore it's better to be an agent in major cities,housing growth,jobs,stronger economy.  I not for sure 100% but I am in an office location where I don't see alot of city listings  When I look at listings from  other offices located in the city. It looks like they list more luxury properties than I have seen in my office.  I have seen apartments going for $1,000,000. But remember even in major cities it all boils down to local markets. Each community is different and some just aren't top producers. While others thrive for example selling along the lakefront communities is way more lucrative that selling on the cities west side.

However,whereever you are in the country. It doesn't matter if highend properties or Fair Market Values are pretty high, if they aren't your listings or your attracting buyers to that particular market. That is the key who you are attracting as a agent.

Your in oregon and mentioned San Fransico, California. Are you planning to move to the State of California?  than no doubt that market is hella expensive  from my opinion. Have you considered not just the possible income from the career but what about your living costs? in Real Estate you have no gurantee you will be making alot of money or consistent commissions. How many commission checks and for how much will support you through dry spells? I have even  read something about the high numbers of agents in California as it is in Flordia.  But then again markets are different. I am just a midwestern speaking....lol, But guess you'd just find your niche and stick with what ever brings you the most business.

I must say that alot of agents that have been in  this game a long time could probably answer the question better. Maybe it's even about their sphere of influence.For new agents accessing that type of clientele may be more challenging but it can be done! Heck I would love to have that type of portfolio but for now I am also finding my niche. 

Goodluck, 

NYC!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.