CoStar vs Loopnet: What is the standard for Commercial Brokers?

5 Replies

A question to Commerical Brokers:

What is the equivalent standard to the FMLS for Commercial Brokers for searching and listing commercial properties?

What is monthly cost to have access to either CoStar or LoopNet and is a real estate license required for access?

Thanks.

Loopnet is a combination FSBO and brokers, with a lot of junk, about $60/mo. Costar is professional only, I pay $240/mo.

@Wayne Brooke,

Are you strictly a commercial broker? or do you do both residential and commercial? What access can you get with CoStar that you can't get with LoopNet?

I have two prior residential clients who are now looking for commercial space to house their businesses so I need learn this side of the business fast.

Just finished reading "How to succeed in commercial real estate by John L Bowman and it is an excellent book.

Thanks.

Residential and multi family, little true commercial. Loopnet is mostly junk where mostly FSBO's and wholesalers put their stuff, since it's free. Costar has a Lot of other resources on market data, rent rates, demographics, etc. Costar is geared to reach commercial brokers with clients, whereas Loopnet is geared toward individual buyers.

Yeah, I stopped using Loopnet years ago but I made some good contacts there. Lots of over priced stuff but anything listed is usually over priced to me.

@James Park as any Listing website, properties are listed at the market or above market price. You can still find a deal here and there. A lot of commercial brokers do not list the properties at all. 

See who are the top listing agents in the neighborhood or city you are looking and reach up to them to ask what pocket listings they have.

Commercial Real Estate is a different game.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.