Making The First Deal

7 Replies

Hi,

I'm new to BP and also a new real estate investor as well, trying to start out with limited resources. I'm from SD, California, so the properties here are really high and hard to make profitable from what I've calculated so far. I want to invest for cash flow and want to know if anyone has any guidance? I was looking at out of state properties as well but I can't travel there that easily.

@Jason Todd

You are facing the dilemma that most CA investors face with high prices and no cash flow. 

Many will look to out of state investing as an alternative and it can work for you as long as you choose a market you feel comfortable in and work with a company with a good history.  Property management will also me very critical for you. 

Good luck

Curt Davis, Real Estate Agent in TN (#00321765)
605-310-7929

@Jason Todd  You don't need to travel.  All you need is someone in the state you are investing in that takes care of all the "heavy lifting".  You can supply the financial side, they provide all the research, analysis, negotiating, offers, closing, and management after.  We work with a number of investors out of state, and there are many others like us.  We like Michigan, and feel it is the number one state to invest for cash flow...and BP articles agree with us.

Thanks. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable investing out of state right now since I lack the experience, and don't quite know what to look for since I wouldn't know the market and the neighborhood. 

I was wondering though, do you take into consideration the crime rate of a neighborhood, schools and other statistics into consideration or do you just go with the deal if it is good?

Hello fellow San Diegan!

I personally chose to invest out of state, but there are still cashflow deals to be found in inland empire CA if you feel too uncomfortable buying a house you'll never see.

Hello @Frank Jiang  

Can you give me a run down of how you did your out of state deal and your experience on it? Was it your first deal?

I don't have a go to list of people to call up for out of state deals, so I guess that's why I'm not confident in doing that, at least at this point in my investing career.

Sure thing.  Sent you a colleague request.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.