Advice needed on funding.

22 Replies

Hello, I am trying to break into the real estate rental business however funding is my road block right now. I have a plan to buy cheaper housing around Cleveland, OH and doing modest rehabs. I want to provide affordable housing to my fellow lower class and middle class Clevelanders.

I will be doing the rehabs myself with the help of my friends and family, so I save on labor costs right there. I plan on buying budget materials and doing quality work myself. I have fair credit, a sizable down payment, but I do not have verifiable income; I am earning money myself through various odd jobs and helping friends/family.

I need to find funding, but have no clue where to go because a bank won't approve me without verifiable income. I am kind of stuck right now and feel like I am treading water. I really want to go forward with this, but don't know how. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

@Account Closed  

welcome to the site.

What types of neighborhoods and price points are you looking into?

Originally posted by @James Wise :

@Nick Armstrong 

welcome to the site.

What types of neighborhoods and price points are you looking into?

Hi James, I am looking into the West Side of Cleveland, primarily the Brooklyn Centre, Old Brooklyn, Ohio City, Tremont, Detroit Shoreway, Edgewater, Jefferson, West Park, and parts of West Blvd. neighborhoods (basically the entire west side excluding Cuddell and Stockyards) and I'm not really looking to spend more than $20,000 on a purchase; the less the better on rehab as well. Maybe no more than $30,000 altogether including purchase and rehab.

Nick we are very active in all of those areas. With you doing your own rehabs your numbers are definitly achievable.

Originally posted by @James Wise :

Nick we are very active in all of those areas. With you doing your own rehabs your numbers are definitly achievable.

Thank you James. The only problem is funding.... I just don't know what to do funding-wise. A bank won't even work with me w/o verifiable income.

Your going to need cash. Even with verifiable income your looking at an uphill battle to use bank financing to buy a distressed house that needs 10k or more in work.

@Account Closed if a house needs rehab and isn't habitable, you can always do a cash out refinance after the rehab. Mortgages 1-10 you can follow the delayed the financing guidelines. Prior to 6 months after the purchase you can pull out up to the purchase price of the house as long as the appraises at 70 percent LTV for a multi-family and 75 percent LTV for a single family.

https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b2/1.2/03.html

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Hello, I am trying to break into the real estate rental business however funding is my road block right now. I have a plan to buy cheaper housing around Cleveland, OH and doing modest rehabs. I want to provide affordable housing to my fellow lower class and middle class Clevelanders.

I will be doing the rehabs myself with the help of my friends and family, so I save on labor costs right there. I plan on buying budget materials and doing quality work myself. I have fair credit, a sizable down payment, but I do not have verifiable income; I am earning money myself through various odd jobs and helping friends/family.

I need to find funding, but have no clue where to go because a bank won't approve me without verifiable income. I am kind of stuck right now and feel like I am treading water. I really want to go forward with this, but don't know how. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

well for one get a real job that you can prove wages. 

Hmmm free labor from family and friends??????????? 

You need a real job or start your own business and set it up so these "odd" jobs get paid to your business.  And soon you will have documented income. 

Originally posted by @Scott K. :
Originally posted by @Nick Armstrong:

Thanks

well for one get a real job that you can prove wages. 

Hmmm free labor from family and friends??????????? 

You need a real job or start your own business and set it up so these "odd" jobs get paid to your business.  And soon you will have documented income. 

I wasn't asking for life advice. I am self employed and I never said free labor. I said that I would save on labor; meaning friends and family would work at a discounted price.

I was thinking about starting an LLC to help get this ball rolling; so you also think that would be a good idea?

@Account Closed   another idea is taking out some credit cards from local credit unions with lower interest rates and using that to fund your rehab.

Originally posted by @Jerry Padilla :

@Nick Armstrong  another idea is taking out some credit cards from local credit unions with lower interest rates and using that to fund your rehab.

Thank you Jerry, I will definitely look into that route; that is a good idea.

@Account Closed  

find a cash partner these are small dollars.. put an add in craigs list... simply :

I find it do all the work split profit 50/50.. you will find a local person that will take a flyer on you.. If you present well and can show some examples of your work. 

Get experience and track record then you can go HML route.. Most HML will want you to have skin in the game to start out with get track record with them and they will fund 100% after time.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Nick Armstrong 

find a cash partner these are small dollars.. put an add in craigs list... simply :

I find it do all the work split profit 50/50.. you will find a local person that will take a flyer on you.. If you present well and can show some examples of your work. 

Get experience and track record then you can go HML route.. Most HML will want you to have skin in the game to start out with get track record with them and they will fund 100% after time.

Thank you Jay; good advice. I was wondering a little bit about the hard money lending route. It seems like it may be an option for me if I can't get a family member or friend to back me up on a loan or something.

@Account Closed  

frankly going the loan route right now is just not realistic.. Lenders and loan officers really hate these little loans they are really tough to do.. There is no money to be made with them. Yet one would have to do all the same work you would do on a 250k loan were the LO could make 5k or more per file... 30k loan they maybe make 500 bucks or so.. who is going to do that. And the banks know that those low value loans default rates are through the roof  so hard to do really. this is why you will see most lenders have a 50k minimum even hard money lenders not all but many

@Nick Armstrong 

frankly going the loan route right now is just not realistic.. Lenders and loan officers really hate these little loans they are really tough to do.. There is no money to be made with them. Yet one would have to do all the same work you would do on a 250k loan were the LO could make 5k or more per file... 30k loan they maybe make 500 bucks or so.. who is going to do that. And the banks know that those low value loans default rates are through the roof  so hard to do really. this is why you will see most lenders have a 50k minimum even hard money lenders not all but many

Thank you Jay, good info! Maybe if I start an LLC, I could try to obtain a microloan from the SBA.

@Account Closed  

forget SBA that won't work for you .. SBA you have to go through a bank and qualify just like any other loan and with no verifiable income you would get denied.

find a equity partner that's what you need.. get your bona fide's established then branch out from there.. this is how your going to do it.. and then pinch yourself you so lucky to play in a sand box were you can buy a house for less than most cars. and get into the industry.. out here on the west coast cost of entry is well north of 100k and in other parts of the west it could be 500k minimum to get started.. YOu have it very lucky were your at. Just get those cash partners behind you

@Nick Armstrong 

forget SBA that won't work for you .. SBA you have to go through a bank and qualify just like any other loan and with no verifiable income you would get denied.

find a equity partner that's what you need.. get your bona fide's established then branch out from there.. this is how your going to do it.. and then pinch yourself you so lucky to play in a sand box were you can buy a house for less than most cars. and get into the industry.. out here on the west coast cost of entry is well north of 100k and in other parts of the west it could be 500k minimum to get started.. YOu have it very lucky were your at. Just get those cash partners behind you

Other than Craigslist(even on CL, what do I even post?), how exactly do I go about finding these cash partners?

What's wrong with Prosper or Lending Club?  I have not heard that mentioned previously, but have considered it in the past.  I went other routes for funding, but thought that these were a viable option.  They're essentially a signature loan, you can get them from some credit card companies and banks as well.  They won't ask to verify income (I don't think), but they will check your credit score.

Do you have retirement accounts you could borrow from?  At those low prices you could pay it back pretty quickly.

Originally posted by @Amy E. :

What's wrong with Prosper or Lending Club?  I have not heard that mentioned previously, but have considered it in the past.  I went other routes for funding, but thought that these were a viable option.  They're essentially a signature loan, you can get them from some credit card companies and banks as well.  They won't ask to verify income (I don't think), but they will check your credit score.

Do you have retirement accounts you could borrow from?  At those low prices you could pay it back pretty quickly.

No I do not have any retirement accounts to dip into..... but Prosper and Lending Club sounds like two options that may work. Thank you for telling me about those!

@Account Closed  You have gotten some good advice here thus far.

I will add two other options which could be viable options. I was at a lender thing once and there was the head of a local private bank speaking. This was a small inner city lender, speaking about his company and calling it an alternative lender. They lend in the local neighborhood. I don't remember his name or the area other than inner city. But they are out there and they do lend money for non-bankable business loans.

Secondarily you can contact the local CDC in your area. Every neighborhood of Cleveland has a community development corporation. Local people trying to fix up houses and get people in them. You could partner with them on the house.

I have a friend who gets called by the CDC on the west side and he buys houses off of them to rehab. I know people at two on the East side and I know that they would probably be open to some type of arrangement if someone credible offered to help them get something accomplished. They are just trying with a volunteer board and a couple employees to get their mission done.

Originally posted by @Ryan Arth :

@Nick Armstrong You have gotten some good advice here thus far.

I will add two other options which could be viable options. I was at a lender thing once and there was the head of a local private bank speaking. This was a small inner city lender, speaking about his company and calling it an alternative lender. They lend in the local neighborhood. I don't remember his name or the area other than inner city. But they are out there and they do lend money for non-bankable business loans.

Secondarily you can contact the local CDC in your area. Every neighborhood of Cleveland has a community development corporation. Local people trying to fix up houses and get people in them. You could partner with them on the house.

I have a friend who gets called by the CDC on the west side and he buys houses off of them to rehab. I know people at two on the East side and I know that they would probably be open to some type of arrangement if someone credible offered to help them get something accomplished. They are just trying with a volunteer board and a couple employees to get their mission done.

Thank you for the reply Ryan. I was also thinking about contacting some of the local CDCs and seeing what they recommend, because in a sense I am also trying to help the community develop with affordable housing. As far as the inner city banks, that may be a good idea to talk with a little local credit union or bank and see if they would help finance me.

Prosper & lending club are good ideas.  Along that same route discover card offers 25k loans with 7 year terms. 9% interest.

However, all 3 of these will requite w2 income. Perhaps convince a friend or family member to sign up for one of these loans.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here