what are some good reputable comparable real estate pricing websites?

12 Replies

Im looking for property that is sold in near by addresses, so I can determine market value on a particular house. So far I been using www.homes.com, then I click on home values on the top bar of the page, and enter a zip code, then I navigate the web map and scroll in on area which gives me my sold real estate and market value of houses. Is there any other sources that can I use? would greatly appreciate it. I know that real estate agents have all the sales price data, but I haven't  got that far in my real estate venture.

any other sources other then www.homes.com for comparable real estate prices?

Thank you the more diverse I can get at property search the more successful I can be I believe thank you.

David,

Houston, Texas

The closest thing to MLS access is Realtor.com, since it is operated by the National Association of Realtors, is going to be the most up-to-date. It gets direct feeds from the MLS's, and updates at least every 24 hours. The sold info comes from the MLS, not the assessors website, so it will be actual and current.

Otherwise, most MLS's have public accessible sites that you can get much of your comparable info from, and it's as up to date as the MLS is.

I love Redfin. If you don't have MLS access, this is a great alternative.

+1 for redfin. Loving it.

In Houston the best place is HAR.com and also their app. They give ranges of prices for sold properties to the general public instead of the exact price. In terms of site navigation the app is probably better. 

In my opinion, it depends on your market. Nothing is going to be having a real estate agent you trust in that particular market to conduct what most call a "competitive market analysis" to drum up an ARV for you.

In the past I have used Redfin, Zillow, *******************.com and others. In certain markets they seem to be pretty accurate; in other markets, the numbers might as well have been drummed up by an animated potato with arms.

ok first of all I just wanted thank all of you for your input. My favorite so far has been redfin.com, and still navigating har.com and realtor.com, and other comp resources website I still need to check out

I even found out other one but our paid memberships which I might get in the future after I get pretty savy with the redfin, har etc....the one who are wondering about the paid membership one I found is called www.realquest.com .. check it out for more comprehensive advance searches I believe

but hey I came across this ARV which I think is outrageously high (which is 525k), compare to what the asking price was (which is 290k), I done my diligent on the property and ran several comp and I came with ARV of 350 max (keep in mind it could possible sell for a little more) but i think she should sell somewhere around 240k -245k (keep in mind i never factor in my repair cost in yet because haven't seen the place in person) they place look like its in pretty good condition , it just needs an up to date appeal (Ill show pictures) One sec) which i think would be about 20 k judging from the picture. Now she figured 140k est in rehab can boost the arv from 290 k to 525k...How did she get this? the only house on my comp that sold close to that 525 k was a house a couple mile away and it was double in SF. If im going to try and hit that 525k value mark, im thinking i would have to gut out the whole house, and upgrade the whole entire house, that would be about 140k in rehab. How did she come up with that outrageous number?? and can you figure out a quick comp on the property of what you think it is worth as is and then the ARV?? Here picture below

subject house   

http://houston.craigslist.org/reb/4844142447.html

here a similar house in a close proximity i found using redfin that been upgraded and sold for 345k

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Houston/2407-Willowby-Dr...

Redfin and realtor are good. I would also recommend you try rezamp. They aren't super customizable but it is made for investors by investors and I am impressed at the amount of info they are able to pull in

It appears that Redfin is maybe for bigger areas?  I looked up MI & it only covers Detroit.  There is a lot of other areas here except Detroit lol.

Originally posted by @Brad Starling :

The closest thing to MLS access is Realtor.com, since it is operated by the National Association of Realtors, is going to be the most up-to-date. It gets direct feeds from the MLS's, and updates at least every 24 hours. The sold info comes from the MLS, not the assessors website, so it will be actual and current.

Otherwise, most MLS's have public accessible sites that you can get much of your comparable info from, and it's as up to date as the MLS is.

This varies from area to area. Realtor.com is not very up to date in my neck of the woods. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.