Formation of a new LLC - questions

3 Replies

With 3 other friends, I am looking to start an LLC to ultimately start doing some investments in rental properties. I have some questions with regards to this:

- Does the LLC need to have its own separate office address, or can the address of the registered agent be used for the same? I ask because the LLC formation form has both of them listed separately with no clear instructions.

- When does an operating agreement need to be drawn up? It does not seem to be a requirement to form the LLC.

- Is it strongly advised to have a lawyer on board for LLC formation?

- Is an LLC required to have designated officers and/or managers?

- Is there any such thing as LLC insurance? And if there is, what does it cover?

@Angad Kamat We do these all the time. The specifics will very based on the state since the laws and rules LLC's are state controlled.

Q: Does the LLC need to have its own separate office address, or can the address of the registered agent be used for the same?

A:  Use different addresses.

Q: I ask because the LLC formation form has both of them listed separately with no clear instructions.

A:  There are a number of reasons, but first and foremost, you want to use the RA as a buffer from you.  If the addresses are both the same, why bother?

Q: - When does an operating agreement need to be drawn up? It does not seem to be a requirement to form the LLC.

A:  Yes.  It's not a requirement from the state, but without one, with multiple partners, you're looking for trouble.  The OA will define everything from responsibilities, to percent of returns, to percent ownership/control.  The returns and ownership don't have to be equal.

Q: - Is it strongly advised to have a lawyer on board for LLC formation?

A:  This really depends on what you are doing with it, and how many partners there are.

Q: - Is an LLC required to have designated officers and/or managers?

A:  See answer above.

Being that you have a partner then I would definitely get a lawyer to assist you in setting up and forming the LLC

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here