Is Getting My Real Estate License Worth It

7 Replies

Hi I am 20 years old live in Texas and new to Real Estate!! My main question would be is going to school to gain my Real Estate License worth it? I understand I would then have access to the many advantages of MLS.com. Other than that what advantages does this license have?

You can work more in the field while getting your investing off the ground. The downside if you do get it is there are all kinds of small rules and things you have to follow. It really depends on your goals. You can get your license online if you wish as well. 

Medium head icon colorRyan Dossey, Call Porter | http://Callporter.com

I'm interested in Flipping and Rehab. I have been listening to podcast And some say "that if I were to whole sale then i dont need any money or credit and this is a good way to make start up money". Is this true or am i misunderstanding what they mean?

OK you caught me on a old age day, if you have to ask forget it, your not ready yet. What happened to thinking and imagining, relax and sit in a chair and close your eyes and imagine having your new real estate license in your hand.  What does it do for you, what can you do with it?  Got nothing, then forget wasting any time and money getting one.

Originally posted by @Brian P. :

OK you caught me on a old age day, if you have to ask forget it, your not ready yet. What happened to thinking and imagining, relax and sit in a chair and close your eyes and imagine having your new real estate license in your hand.  What does it do for you, what can you do with it?  Got nothing, then forget wasting any time and money getting one.

@Brian P.   I Have To disagree I believe I am ready i just have no experience. I don't know wear to start and was asking other professionals opinion on having a REL. I have already set my rout of gaining my license and am getting ready to invest. In my honest opinion I think the best way for me to learn is threw experience and learn from other peoples mistakes as well as my own. I AM PUMPED ABOUT THIS REI!!!! On the other hand i would love to take any advice you have to give and put it to work!!

OK Nick

So your real question is to those of us that have our license out here how have we used it. Not give me some good reasons why I should bother getting one, that has been covered many many times here.

I only have one suggestion to make, actually use the license to try and make a living. The efforts of one activity (agent)lead to business for the other activity(investor) and vice versa. Everything I made as a Real estate broker went into one pile, and everything I made by investing in real estate went into another pile, not to be touched unless it would cause the pile to become bigger.

@Brian P.   Thanx for the advice and i will change my question yours is more what i was going for.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you