• Investor
  • Singapore
Votes |
How not to network

Anish Tolia
  • Investor
  • Singapore
Posted Feb 11 2015, 14:24

A lot of people try to connect with me on BP, usually to get some information on out of state investing. I'm fine with that and try to share my knowledge when I can. However the inboxes below (redacted for privacy) is a classic example of how NOT to network. If I offer to spend my time helping you after you reached out to me, telling me you are too busy for a whole month to talk is not the way to get me to be interested in helping you! This not to embarrass the person who sent this to me but to point out to new investors that if you are going to reach out to experienced people on this site for free information show some commitment on your side to make me feel  its worth me spending my time helping you!

Hi Anish,

I am a new real estate investor based in ..... . I am currently researching the idea of investing out of state, more specifically with a turnkey company. I have been looking into the Indy and Dallas markets. Iâ??d love to connect and share information. I know right now it is pretty one sided since I am still learning everything I can, but I hope to bring value to the table when I can.

I heard your podcast with ..... and it was very inspirational. It sounds like you have had some great success in the Indy market. What are your thoughts on .... and his turnkey operation in Indy, as well as the PM he uses?

Hi ....

Indy has been reasonably good. Especially now the portfolio has reached critical mass and is stabilized. I did have issues including one major disaster tenant and one mildly bad one, both being evicted. But these were both inherited tenants. Of the tenants placed by my PM, I have had no issues.

Happy to share my experience with you over the phone sometime if you like.

Hi Anish,

Thanks for your thoughts. I would love to talk over the phone sometime, but I am very busy at work right now. I should have more free time during March. I will send you a message around that time so we can set something up.

I look forward to it,

Loading replies...