DONT BE TOO THIRSTY!!

DONT BE TOO THIRSTY!!

Real Estate Investor · Elkridge, MD · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 11 votes

Just figured to share what happened to me...

I had to decline submitting an offer with an agent today because I felt the margin was too close. I wanted to badly put this deal in contract today as my first deal but couldnt.

Although I'm putting zero into the deal financially, I am putting in the sweat labor of finding a good deal. 

I found a deal that I thought was good at one point however because of a miscalculated rehab cost by the realtor in comparison to the true rehab estimate by the gc's, the margins became closer than I felt comfortable with for my partners money. 

I told her that I would treat her money as my own and we agreed to the points of bowing out of the deal. I explained our position to the realtor and gc's ..all was good.............on to the next one...got 2 lined up!! Theres always another deal.

2Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 140 votes
11y

@Vinny Gaines  Last time I toke my realtor's advise/input on a rehab i worked my ..ss off for 4 months and broke even on the property. And  my realtor friend made two easy commission(buy/list) of about $22,000!

And he was a good friend was not out there to screw me. I did take a while for me to realize that he is not a rehab expert rather a sales expert! 

Good luck to you be persistent it does pay off soon!!!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2010 · 55 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    I was eager on my very first deal, and looking back, I realize now it was not a good deal.  Luckily, my plan was to buy and hold.  I still have the property today and it's close to being paid off.  In the beginning, I failed to calculate all costs involved, not just the repair costs.  Their were little things like the electric bill during a winter rehab, real estate commissions, etc... 

    Patience is key :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    11y

    What kind of estimated margins did you have on the deal? Was it an extensive rehab where you thought you'd see surprises? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    Keep at it @Vinny Gaines you'll find a deal that works.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Vinny Gaines Very good attitude, treating you financiers money exactly as you want to treat your own; and knowing when to walk away is half the battle, in this case: battle won. Cheers...

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    11y

    There is always another one to close on.Patience is a virtue

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Vinny Gaines  been there and done that   mistake! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 140 votes
    11y

    @Vinny Gaines  Last time I toke my realtor's advise/input on a rehab i worked my ..ss off for 4 months and broke even on the property. And  my realtor friend made two easy commission(buy/list) of about $22,000!

    And he was a good friend was not out there to screw me. I did take a while for me to realize that he is not a rehab expert rather a sales expert! 

    Good luck to you be persistent it does pay off soon!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.