Reducing risk on first deal

2 Replies

When getting ready to close one's first deal as a newcomer, what are some steps to take to minimize the risk involved?

Be as sure as possible that it is a GOOD deal. No, a GREAT deal. No, a SMOKIN' deal. That's it: SMOKIN'! http://coub.com/view/2hd1b

[Plenty of threads will tell you how you can crunch those numbers; I trust you are already reading them?]. Cheers...

Hi Joshua,

I have been following some investors in my area and found they are using the 70% rule. I have been researching the area that I want to flip in this week with my realtor. Three of the houses she showed me were already rehabbed. All three houses were in a B class neighborhood. The first house I looked at sold for $175,000, and then after rehab was put back on the market for $253,000. The other two were bought and sold similar to the first house. The FMV in this neighborhood are in the mid $200,000's. If you multiply $253,000 by 70% it equals $177,100. That would have been the maxim price to offer. The investor who picked this property up made a good deal.

The example here is for rehabbing.  If you are buying to hold, then you will use the 2% and 50% rule as well.

I hope that helps you.

Melissa

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.