How do i start?

5 Replies

18 years old and want to start investing! Can i start this young? i have no credit but i have a job paying 150$ per week. How can i start investing to start my career in flipping houses. 

Education.  Join your local REIC.  Learn from those that are doing for real.  Be a sponge.

@Christ Cardillo  If I was in your position I would focus on networking, learning and figuring out what local investors are looking for. Then I would go out and find deals to bring them and get paid for you services through an assignment fee or possible partnership.

@Christ Cardillo  welcome aboard. Can you start this young? He'll yeah. It's your biggest asset right now. You found the right place. You should start with reading Everything you can here and listen to every Podcast.  The blogs have some amazing content also. It is amazing the wealth of knowledge you will pick up.  Your defiantly on the right track to invest your money in real estate. Remember your best asset right now is your age. Take Joe's advice and hook up with someone close to where you live and basically say I can give you leg work running to the courthouse, painting units, checking on properties etc. in exchange for letting me watch how you do things.

Remember each no you get just means your one step closer to getting a yes. 

Each day move closer to your goal. Start with something like I will read three blogpost a day. Listen to a podcast and read through a dozen posts. Read the post daily you may not have many answers but you will become familiar with who the power houses are. You will also find other investors that are near you.

And above all if you read something you don't quite get ask. Someone here will be able to clarify it for you.

Now go read.

Yes you can start that young... no better time to start. I bought my first property when i was 19  earning $6.00 per hour as a plumbers laborer... 

get your credit established...  

surround yourself with the investor you want to be like... 

start learning the business... 

decide by what date you will have your first deal under your belt... (whatever that deal looks like) 

You can do it!    

good luck and take care,

sky mikesell , Charlotte, NC

Hi Christ,

It is always refreshing to read a post from a young adult who is interested in real estate investing. Thanks for posting your message and welcome to BP!  You asked, how can you start?  You have already taken the first step by making a decision about what you want to do.  I recommend clarifying your goal in writing, write a plan of how you intend to reach your goal and then take the next step. 

After you write your plan, you can begin at once to move toward your goal. I would imagine that increasing your knowledge in the area of your interest may be a part of your plan. If that is true, BP is a great place to learn and to ask questions. There is a wealth of information on this site and the BP community at large is also very helpful.  Invest in your education in the way that works best for you. Everyone learns differently and there are no "rules" about how to go about getting the education you need to help you succeed. Above all things, trust yourself as you go forward and ask for help when you think it is necessary. 

The investor world is waiting to see what you will bring to the table.  I,for one, look forward to hearing your stories as you proceed. Much success to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.