203k loan for first investment

3 Replies

Upon doing research, I finally found an area like to invest in. I'm thinking of going with a 203K loan for this investment however I will not be able to get the loan on my own. My idea is to find a partner to cosign the 203K loan with me then after using the renovation money to fix the house my partner and I will then refinance to a conventional loan under the newly appraised value.leaving us with money to reinvest in another property

Aaron, a 203k can be a great way to get started since you get the benefit of adding value while not having to live in a construction zone.  Having someone cosign is a creative solution if you can't qualify on your own, just use caution and choose your cosigner carefully. If you haven't started the loan application process, do that as soon as possible so you know if there are any surprises waiting for you. Best of luck and keep us posted.

@Aaron Brill

Also note that FHA 203K loans are for owner occupied homes only so one of you would have to live in the property.

I hope this helps and have a good one.

@Shaun Weeks 

Yes, I underst this would be owner occupant. My area of interest is multi-family, preferably 4-plex, so I would live in one unit for the the first year while renting out the other three units. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here